We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need help to plan a trip to Newfoundland for June 2011

Level Contributor
105 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Need help to plan a trip to Newfoundland for June 2011

Hello! We're planning a trip to Newfoundland for this coming June. We've never been there but we got very excited after looking at photos that were taken in there. I am a photographer and I would love to shoot some beautiful, scenic places. So going to see some scenic places is our first priority. We would like to see icebergs as well but I understand it really depends on the time of year. Could someone give us suggestions on where/when to see them? We seen many nice places like Cape St. Mary's, Gros Morne National Park, etc... way too many nice places in there!

Our trip will begin from Toronto - St John's and then we could drive to other locations from there.

I apologize for asking many questions as we're planning this from the scratch.

Gros Morne National...
Destination Expert
for Newfoundland and Labrador
Level Contributor
1,664 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need help to plan a trip to Newfoundland for June 2011

A few pointers:

1. Check out some of the photography forums and credit sheets for NL photographers and that will give you some idea where people are going.

2. As a fan of photography myself I can assure you that there is LOTS to photograph here, even in the most unlikely places.

3. Icebergs in June are typically along the north coast, St. Anthony, Southern Labrador and maybe as far as Twillingate.

How long are you staying? Will your focus BE photography (If you spend three hours and $1500 for the perfect shot will that be worth while for you? How fit are you? What is your photography style? Do you want vistas, botanicals, ethnic portrature, wildlife? What kind of gear do you have? Do you want to do underwater photography?

Scunthorpe, United...
Level Contributor
3,583 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Need help to plan a trip to Newfoundland for June 2011

Following on from Doggles, I'm afraid I have more questions.

How long are you staying?

Are you wanting to base yourself in one place for several nights or move on each day?

Are you wanting to visit Fogo Islands?

Are you planning on flying in and out of St John's at both ends of the trip? Have you thought about flying in or out of Deer Lake for one of the ways? If you are wanting to get into the western part of Newfoundland (or Labrador) this has the advantage of cutting down driving distances and time. It could save a day's driving. Most of the settlement in Newfoundland is around the coast reached by 'feeder' roads off the Trans Canada.

It is possible to do a one way car hire - we did one through Enterprise from Deer Lake to St John's but you will need to book this early.

Have you got a copy of the brochure and map produced by Newfoundland and Labrador Tourism? If not order a copy from their (very good and informative) website:

As well as accommodation listings this has a lot of information about different driving routes and things to do and see.

There is also a certain amount of background information here which you might find useful:

We had our first visit to Newfoundland last year. Initial plans were for 2-3 weeks which rapidly grew to 4 weeks and even then we hardly scratched the surface. We loved the Labrador coast, northern peninsula and Harbour Breton area. The small fishing villages were so photogenic...

2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Need help to plan a trip to Newfoundland for June 2011

Hi I;m new here. If you want to check out when and where the icebergs are you can go to iceberg finder. It will show you where the bergs are and how big they are. They usally come in around June.

Level Contributor
379 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need help to plan a trip to Newfoundland for June 2011

Went two years ago and were in Newfoundland from June 20th to early July. Photography is one of my hobbies and I had a great time with the camera. Here were some of my favorite spots:

In St. John's

-The area of colorful houses down by the harbor.

-Quid Vidi area has a very picturesque cove where the brewery is located.

-Signal Hill for the views of downtown and the harbor mouth.

-Cape Spear area.

-Pippy Park where we hit peak season for azaleas and many other flowers at the botanical gardens.

Irish Loop

-Ferryland Lighthouse. A short hike out to a point; classic lighthouse; waves crashing on rocks; and a bonus of a grounded ice berg.

-LaManche Provincial Park where we did a hike back to a nice waterfall.

-Cape St. Mary's where you have the gannets nesting not only feet from you, but you can also photograph them gliding below you.

-Fishing village of Branch on the way to St. Mary's was where I got my best fishing village shots.

-Town itself has many photo opportunities with restored buildings. We were there when stands of lupine were in bloom.

-Sherwink Trail north of Trinity goes around a point with views of sea stacks and rugged cliffs. Across the bay you can get photos of Trinity.

-North of Trinity is Elliston where I photographed dozens of puffins. Some standing 10 feet away.

Gros Morne of course

-Western Pond boat ride. We had a perfectly calm, sunny day with ribbons of fog in the pond. Perfect! Also, get in line for the boat right away. It was very crowded and if you can't get up on top or in front of the bow, you might be frustrated.

-Tablelands hike.

-Village of Trout River for more fishing village shots.

St. Anthony

-Got great pictures of whales by going with O'Brien's Boat Tours.

-Also got my best ice berg shots on that trip.

-North of St. Anthony are a series of fishing coves. Very picturesque and there were small ice bergs floating in the bays.

-On the way to St. Anthony there is Arches Provincal Park right off the highway. Two arches in a large rock right on the beach.

-It's way at the end of the road but the village of Rose Blanche and the restored lighthouse there is a classic. It's made of stone and stands on a rocky point.

These are just the places I fondly remember. You'll find your own and we were really lucky with the weather. Thick fog was minimal and it lifted at the right times to even add to the scenery.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
3,161 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need help to plan a trip to Newfoundland for June 2011

We saw icebergs off Twillingate in mid-June 2009. There were also break-away pieces (there's a technical name for those, sorry, I forget) at various places in the Twillingate area and also off Bay Bulls when we took the boat tour out to Witless Bay.

St. John's, Canada
Level Contributor
106 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Need help to plan a trip to Newfoundland for June 2011

Hi there!

Icebergs should be around here in June. As for the places to see them, I saw a beautiful group of them the year before in the Bay Bulls area, just outside of St. John's. The year before, there were quite a few icebergs out that way. Another excellent spot is Twillingate, which is in the path of what we call "Iceberg Alley". Here is a link for your reference

Have you seen the Newfoundland and Labrador website? Tons of information there to get you started in planning your trip and giving you ideas of what you might want to see. Newfoundland has so many places which are excellent to photograph.

Level Contributor
105 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Need help to plan a trip to Newfoundland for June 2011

Thank you everyone for the kind response! We are still planning on what to do, where to go, how much to spend for this trip.

Now I don't think we could fly from Toronto to Deer Lake and then drive to St. John's. The main reason is we could not find any car rental place has that 'one way trip' from Deer Lake to St. John's. As well we couldn't find any unlimited car rental deal. The most we've seen is 1400km for 5 days (Enterprise $223CAD after tax). I guess we will have to skip Gros Morne National Park. We are hoping to base in one place for serveral nights then move if necessary. Not sure if we can go to many different places as some of them require long hours of driving and the mileage (1400km total) will be a limitation. Ex: From St. John's to Twillingate and return to St. John's will be 12 hrs drive and 888km, according to the Google Map.

Will there be any iceberg close by the shore? Is the boat tour a must for seeing it closely? How much are those tours? Do we sign up online via tour companies or we could just do it there?

Thanks again!

Edited: 10 February 2011, 01:29
Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
1,059 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Need help to plan a trip to Newfoundland for June 2011

Newfoundland is MUCH bigger than many people realize. You will NOT find any car rental deals and there is no such thing as unlimited mileage here on the Rock.

Level Contributor
105 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Need help to plan a trip to Newfoundland for June 2011

In that case, how would one travel to different locations in there if there is no unlimited km rental deal? Pay the extra or some ways that I am not aware of ? Thanks

Owen Sound, Canada
Level Contributor
628 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Need help to plan a trip to Newfoundland for June 2011

There is no way of predicting ice bergs in eastern Newfoundland. Some years they are quite plentiful and other years [like a couple of years ago] there are almost none. We've had them in Bay Bulls as late as early July and other years couldn't find one anywhere between St. John's and Twillingate in mid - June.

CCDM 9 has, as usual, provided good advice with his photography suggestions. I will try and expand on them a bit in the next day or two. You don't need to travel long distances from St. John's to see interesting photo opportunities.

Our community is here to help!
Ask questions, get advice and more from travellers like you.
Join TripAdvisor