We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
houston. tx
Level Contributor
161 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
st john's to PEI or Halifax

We are travelling for 3 wks August/Sept and are beginning in St John's. We will rent a car in St John's for touring around there. After that we want to make our way to PEI and to Halifax. In what order to you suggest that we travel and what is the best mode of transportation: Car, ferry, or air?

Thanks so much for your expert advice.

jj

Scunthorpe, United...
Level Contributor
3,583 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: st john's to PEI or Halifax

Even if you can find a one way car hire from St John's to Halifax and PEI it will be horrendously expensive.

Do a car hire at St John's then drop off the car and fly to Halifax.

Are you intending to fly out of Halifax at the end of your holiday? If not you may also find similar problems with a one way hire there too. It may be worth posting on the Nova Scotia and PEI forums to ask this question.

Gros Morne National...
Destination Expert
for Newfoundland and Labrador
Level Contributor
1,664 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: st john's to PEI or Halifax

I would suggest flying into St. John's, rent a car, do a loop of Newfoundland and then fly out of St. John's again for Halifax.

Ideally you would fly Texas -> St. John's, Deer Lake -> Halifax. However, Deer Lake is an expensive airport to fly out of due to low volume.

Flying out of NL to NS will still be cheaper than driving unless you have a large travel group. When you look at the sale price of airfare between NL and NS, and compare that to the cost of a car rental, the ferry and gas alone you will come out ahead and save about 12 hours of travel time.

The PEI is connected to the mainland by a bridge so you can use the same car rental in PEI and NS. Flying from NS (Halifax) to Texas will be cheaper and easier to find flights than PEI to Texas.

St. John's, Canada
Level Contributor
106 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: st john's to PEI or Halifax

You will be looking at about 100 dollars less per person to fly out of St. John's rather than Deer Lake. Plus the car hires one way are VERY expensive. It IS best to rent a car out of St. John's and then tour around the province. Drop the car off, then fly to Halifax. I know that doing a loop is not the most ideal way for you too see Newfoundland, but, unfortunately, they do not have great transportation for the tourists (or anyone for that matter).

Let us know if you have any more questions.

houston. tx
Level Contributor
161 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: st john's to PEI or Halifax

Thanks all --- very helpful responses. I'm sure I'll have some follow-up questions as we go through the planning of this trip. And yes, we are flying from Houston to St. Johns - hoping to work our way to Haifax, PEI, then head to Montreal, Quebec city -- and maybe up to Churchill .............. just begining to look at options -- we'll fly open jaw so we'll return fom wherever we plan our last stop to be.

Thanks again and I'm sure I'll return later with more questions.

jj

houston. tx
Level Contributor
161 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: st john's to PEI or Halifax

Sorry for the double post; however, I meant to ask -- is Viarail a viable option for travel from Halifax to Montreal?

Thanks again,

jj

St. John's, Canada
Level Contributor
171 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: st john's to PEI or Halifax

hey sparkle how do you blend in with the locals with that funny accent.Times have changed in the last twenty years and its odd to see cfa moving here.Thanks for the good promo.I also would like to be in the tourism but my union job keeps getting in the way,health benefits ,vacation ,sick leave is to good to give up.Thanks again

houston
Level Contributor
17 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: st john's to PEI or Halifax

Doggles: Few more questions please. Which car rental company will allow a car rental in St John's NL and a drop-off in Halifax, NS. Assuming that part is feasible how many times a day does the ferry cross in August.

What is terrain like? It is a fearsome drive - divided roads -- or how would you best describe the drive?

All things considered -- which is the best option (air or auto)- we wouldn't mind seeing the area via auto, if it's not toally out of the question or too risky.

Thanks so much!

jj

8. Re: st john's to PEI or Halifax

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 March 2012, 05:17
Get answers to your questions about Newfoundland and...