We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 weeks isn't enough

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
84 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
2 weeks isn't enough

But it''s all we have. We're landing in St. John's on July 7, one night in St. John's, then thinking 3 nights somewhere on the Irish Loop, 2 nights in Dildo, 3 nights in or near Twillingate, 3 nights in Elliston, then final 2 nights in St. John's. Any suggestions? Changes? Are we trying to do too much? Should we spend more time in any of those areas? Any hints will help my confusion....or add to it ;)

Thanks

Owen Sound, Canada
Level Contributor
628 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: 2 weeks isn't enough

What are you interested in? I'm guessing nature/birds based on the locations you have chosen. Knowing your interests will help give you advice.

You are certainly not trying to do too much, and you will be visiting NL at what is usually a good time of the year for weather and festivals etc.

cheers

Jerry

Scunthorpe, United...
Level Contributor
3,583 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: 2 weeks isn't enough

With the limited time you have available it sounds a good itinerary, It gives you time to relax and enjoy Newfoundland and to explore the smaller settlements along the coast.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
3,161 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 2 weeks isn't enough

We spent 12 days in Newfoundland in 2009 and didn't go any further west than you are going. There is plenty to see.

I assume that you intend to explore the Bonavista Peninsula from Elliston. Do stop in at Trinity. We really liked it. The Rising Tide Theatre puts on plays during the evening (which probably won't work for you), but and, during the summer, has a pageant during the day that converts the entire town to a stage. Unfortunately, we were a bit too early. However, I think you would be at the right time. Here is the Rising Tide website. They have only the 2010 season posted right now, but should be coming out with 2011 very soon -

http://www.risingtidetheatre.com/

While you're in Twillingate, do Fogo Island as a daytrip. Better still, take one of the nights from Twillingate and add it to Fogo Island, if possible. We stayed in Twillingate for three nights and, looking back, it was probably one night too long. We only had the afternoon on Fogo and I would have liked to have stayed longer. Plug "Fogo" into the search box and see what has been said about on previous threads.

You will have a wonderful time Enjoy!

Scunthorpe, United...
Level Contributor
3,583 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: 2 weeks isn't enough

Good advice from Itchyfeet.

As well as spending time in Trinity also try and visit the Random Passage Film set. This is an accurate reconstruction of what an 18thC fishing village might have been like. The ticket includes a guided tour run by one of the enthusiastic locals. These are well worth while doing and we learnt a lot about the way of life. The cafe also serves good cheap meals.

When you drive the Irish Loop, do the extra drive down to St Shott's which is one of the few places which resisited being resettled in the 1960s and still has an 'outpost' feel to it.

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
84 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 2 weeks isn't enough

Thanks for your advice. Yes we're interested in the wildlife, scenery, outdoors but also love the cultural aspects too. Really we would be interested in mostly everything.

St. John's, Canada
Level Contributor
106 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 2 weeks isn't enough

Hi,

You can do a whole day at Trinity just doing the pagent and then going to the sit down dinner and evening show. My sister and I did that and it was quite interesting. She especially enjoyed it because both presentations dealt with the history of Newfoundland, while the dinner provided newfoundland music and decent food.

If you go to Random passage site in Bonaventure, they have a sunday afternoon concert series, usually outside on a cliff with the ocean as a backdrop! The musicians that day said that some days, they have to compete with the whales, which sometimes can been seen from the cliff.

Elliston of course, has a great puffin colony there. I know that the witless bay ecological reserve has a colony too but, you can get much closer to the puffin colony in Elliston, from my observation.

My two cents!

Clear Lake Iowa USA
Level Contributor
300 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 2 weeks isn't enough

The village of Brigus isnt too far from Dildo, you just cut across on highway#74.

It is a pretty little town and has alot to walk around and see. Cupids is right next to Brigus and is also very pretty. Then there is the Cable Station at Hearts Delight, We loved the Harbour at Dildo. We talked to several fisherman and I even got to tour the Atlantic Gale and have my picture taken on it. (my name is Gail- corney but I thought it was cool) Beautiful area.

The Trinity area is great, so is Random Passage and check out the cute little burg next to it, New Bonaventure. With all its fishing stages.

In St. Johns dont miss Signal Hill, Quidi Vidi, and the Battery neighborhood area . Oh, and all the churches close to Duckworth St.

You will love it there- and sounds like you wont be rushing around trying to do too much. July is a great time of year to be there.

St. John's, Canada
Level Contributor
2 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 2 weeks isn't enough

Consider spending at least a couple of nights in St. John's in lieu of 3 nights on the Irish Loop. Check out Folk night at the Ship Inn for great local music. Great food at The Rocket on Water Street. Visit the Craft Council shop for the best in Newfoundland fine crafts. A day trip to Bay Bulls for whale/seabird watching should be on the agenda. Ferryland is also worth a visit and an easy trip from St. John's. Check out Lighthouse picnics www.lighthousepicnics.ca where you can pick up lunch and take it down to the ocean to watch whales in the bay. Brigus and Cupids on the Baccalieu Trail deserve a couple of days exploring: archeological sites, Captain Bartlett's Hawthorne Cottage, tea rooms, the Legacy Centre, and lots more to see and do there. Best hidden treasure: The Bay Roberts Heritage Walk...one of the best in the province.

9. Re: 2 weeks isn't enough

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 October 2012, 07:16