We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

packing

Vernon, Canada
6 posts
Save Topic
packing

What should I pack for a trip to newfoundland and Nova Scotia for the first two weeks in June. I am taking my 85 year old Father and he has mobility issues so we will be doing some museums and light walking alot of car sight seeing and dining out.

thanks

Scunthorpe, United...
Level Contributor
3,583 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: packing

PAck comfortable clothes and plenty of layers so you can take off/put on depending on temperature. Also take a pair of comfortable shoes and a windproof/showerproof jacket. Possibly hat and gloves.

Unless you are wanting to dine out anywhere expensive you don't need "best" clothes.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
1,057 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: packing

The weather is extremely variable, from day to day and from hour to hour! Here in central Newfoundland over the past week we've had wind, rain, SNOW, a bit of sun on a few days, one nice sunny day with a temperature all the way up to 14C (hot compared to most days) and night time temperatures into the -3C range. Expect nearly anything!

The advice for layers is very good advice. When we go out for a "walkabout" we do exactly that - a waterproof outer layer with a removable fleece inside over a light sweater or sweatshirt over our "regular" shirt. Warm wool socks are a good idea. Since you father has mobility issues I guess I need not mention good walking shoes or hiking boots. A hat of some type is a very good suggestion and thin cotton gloves can be handy some days. You're still a week or two away from your trip so the weather could change a bit but if you're prepared for cooler temperatures you will still be happy if it's warmer.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
1,057 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: packing

Forgot to mention that since it will be June when you're here you can be assured that you will see rain on at least some days. Summer doesn't seem to come to NL until July based upon my experience but who knows, it could be nicer this year.

Gros Morne National...
Destination Expert
for Newfoundland and Labrador
Level Contributor
1,662 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: packing

As stated earlier wind and rain are the thin edge of the wedge when dressing for Newfoundland weather. If you don't have a proper shell you are in for a miserable day. Without a shell your insulation layers get water logged, the wind cuts through and you get heat loss pretty fast. The best thing about a shell is they aren't bulky, so you can strip down to a sweater or shirt depending on how warm it gets.

Don't let me leave you with the impression that Newfoundland is a notch below the arctic, here is a video of typical weather for June and early July, a lot of fog, a little cool and a little damp:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-jnxMyT9Bg

Gros Morne National...
Destination Expert
for Newfoundland and Labrador
Level Contributor
1,662 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: packing

As stated earlier wind and rain are the thin edge of the wedge when dressing for Newfoundland weather. If you don't have a proper shell you are in for a miserable day. Without a shell your insulation layers get water logged, the wind cuts through and you get heat loss pretty fast. The best thing about a shell is they aren't bulky, so you can strip down to a sweater or shirt depending on how warm it gets.

Don't let me leave you with the impression that Newfoundland is a notch below the arctic, here is a video of typical weather for June and early July, a lot of fog, a little cool and a little damp:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-jnxMyT9Bg

Vernon, Canada
6 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: packing

thanks for the packing ideas I am from the B.C. coast so it sounds like it will be the same layering we do here but we are definitely getting higher temperatures and more sun these days than you are. At the beginning of may we had 28C on my dads waterfront deck on Vancouver Island. My father has been all over the world for pleasure and business but he has not been to Newfoundland and really wants to see that part of Canada. I am so excited everyone I have spoken to is so friendly and helpful and all the travellers have raved about Atlantic Canada.

Thanks again

7. Re: packing

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 May 2012, 07:17