We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Restaurant Recommendations Please

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
14 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Restaurant Recommendations Please

Hi everyone,

We will be traveling through the east-coast of Newfoundland in late-August and early September (2 weeks). We will visit the following areas:

- St. John's

- Baccalieu Trail (staying in Cupids, but will drive)

- Irish Loop (staying in Ferryland, but will drive)

- Cape St. Mary's Area (staying really close to the Cape, not sure what's close?)

- Trinity / Bonavista Area (staying near Trinity, but will drive)

When we traveled through PEI last year, we had some great food (small town restaurants, church dinners, etc.)... We are not looking for anything fancy, but true NFLD fare! Jiggs dinner, salt-beef, fresh seafood, local dishes, we'll eat anything and would love a 'local' experience.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks again -

Scunthorpe, United...
Level Contributor
3,583 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Restaurant Recommendations Please

Try the cafe attached to Random Passage Film set at New Bonaventure, a short drive from Trinity. It is all home cooked food by the women from the village. We had an excellent lunch. And while you are there, do visit the film set too! It is an accurate reconstruction of what an 18thC fishing settlement would have been like. The locals give tours and these are very well worth doing.

St. John's, Canada
Destination Expert
for Newfoundland and Labrador
Level Contributor
3,679 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Restaurant Recommendations Please

The Captains Table in Mobile is on the Irish Loop. Good food and service. There is a cafe in Brigus that serves lunch - very small but a great place to stop after walking around Brgus, and not far from Cupids.

toronto
Level Contributor
52 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Restaurant Recommendations Please

A few times when we arrived in a town, we either asked the hotel/motel/B&B staff, or checked the posters in the bakery or supermarket... often there is a church dinner or supper that all are welcome to attend. Also, same thing for "kitchen parties". It's pretty word of mouth. Also, if you stay at smaller inns, they may be cooking right there. Good luck!

Owen Sound, Canada
Level Contributor
628 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Restaurant Recommendations Please

A couple of thoughts. For Cape St. Mary's you can stay in St. Bride's. The Bird Island Resort really just a sort of motel, but the Manning family who own the place are wonderful hosts.

The Gannets Nest is a nice little restaurant, on the highway just a bit before the side road going down to Cape St. Mary's.

I agree that The Captain's Table in Mobile is good and friendly.

cheers

Jerry

master_ptolomy
12 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Restaurant Recommendations Please

You can stay in St Bride's as there is nothing out on Cape St Mary's or you can stay in Branch in a B&B. For food, I highly recommend going to the Gannet's nest, its just at the junction for the Cape St. Mary's road, the only building there so you can't miss it. We had the fish and chips, and the fish melts in your mouth. It is a great place, I think every second word on the menu is spelled wrong, and we bought some bottled moose from there to take home.

Clear Lake Iowa USA
Level Contributor
300 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Restaurant Recommendations Please

We loved the Duke of Duckworth in St. Johns. Bar/ Restaurant . We had the fries with the dressing and fish dinner. Yum! Just a neat atmosphere too.

In Brigus, really good Moose Stew in the cafe next to the Brittineer B&B. I cant remember the name of the cafe but it is a gift shop/cafe . Plus they have other good dishes too.

It was so much fun finding out of the way places to eat. We had a jigs dinner on Fogo Island, it was so good and so- too much food!

Gros Morne National...
Destination Expert
for Newfoundland and Labrador
Level Contributor
1,664 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Restaurant Recommendations Please

Kudos on finding Jiggs dinner Paga, I am surprised how many people come and go without ever having it.

Clear Lake Iowa USA
Level Contributor
300 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Restaurant Recommendations Please

Doggles, It is a shame to go someplace new and not try a dish that the area is known for.

My husband would really laugh at that statement from a girl that always orders a Bacon Cheeseburger whereever she goes! But .... he got me started trying new foods. We ordered the jigs dinner and a fresh crab salad to share ( we ate it all) and it was way more food than we needed. But they were both delicious.

We asked how it was made and thought we would try to imitate it, but we never have. It would make a good addition to our soups and bread suppers that we have all winter long while its so cold here.

Princeton, NL
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Restaurant Recommendations Please

If you are going to Trinity, but are willing to stay near there, try The View. They have a restaurant, lounge, accommodations and a 9-hole golf course only 25 mins from Trinity. The restaurant serves Jigg's Dinner, fresh seafood in season as well as beef and chicken dishes. I haven't had a bad meal there yet.

Edited: 13 August 2011, 02:34
Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
1,059 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Restaurant Recommendations Please

While a Jiggs Dinner is certainly something to experience once or twice in a lifetime I sure wouldn't suggest it as a regular occurrence. The sodium content in one plate of Jiggs Dinner (at least the many that I've had) is enough for at least a week, if not more!

I have enjoyed the Jiggs Dinners that I've had but I can't really say that it's something that I crave. I prefer more meat, and a lot less salt, in my meals.