We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Newfoundland Road Trip

New England
Destination Expert
for Ogunquit
Level Contributor
2,249 posts
68 reviews
Save Topic
Newfoundland Road Trip

My thread of "14 day planning" was getting way too long so I decided to start a new one. Plus our time in Newfoundland has changed quite a bit!!

Thank you to all for the advice and suggestions. I think we will do 2 nights in St Anthony so that we can have one full day and use the 3rd night back at Gros Morne in case we wanted to revisit anything we might not have gotten to do there. This will also break up our trip as our next destination will be Twillingate. We have also learned from previous road trips that it is important to have a "down day" to relax from long days of travel..especially us "older active adults"( I say that very cautiously) Hiking and photography and just enjoying our surroundings/stunning scenery are priorities.

We are considering bringing our kayaks on our roof. It looks like there may be quiet flat water /gentle bays to kayak in almost everywhere we go (we do not kayak rough waters) any kayaking gems in our visitation areas?

Here is a new revisit to full 27 day itinerary:

Keep the suggestions coming! I am now looking at serious lodging.. B&B's mostly, maybe a cabin/cottage here or there.

A little concerned that 3 nights may be too much at Bonavista but still researching. Thinking that maybe we should switch the 3rd night to another in St Johns area??

Night 1 NH (home) to Moncton, NB

Night 2 Belle Cote,NS start the Cabot Trail loop

Night 3 Bay St Lawrence ,NS

Night 4 Bay St Lawrence

Night 5 North Sydney- auto ferry to Port Aux Basques,NL- (night sailing with sleeping cabin)

visit Rose Blanche & Codroy Valley

Night 6 Cape St George

Night 7 Gros Morne -

Gros Morne Mtn

Night 8 Gros Morne -

Western Pond Boat

Night 9 Gros Morne--

other hikes/boat/? kayak

Night 10 St Anthony

L'Anse Aux meadows

Boat tour

Night 11 St Anthony

Night 12 Gros Morne

Norris Point or further south.

(Thinking about not making a reservation. Risky.)

Night 13 Twillingate

Night 14 Twillingate

Night 15 Twillingate

Night 16 Fogo Island

Night 17 Fogo Island

Night 18 Bonavista/Trinity (still researching)

Skerwink trail, et al

Night 19 Bonavista/Trinity

Night 20 Bonavista/Trinity

Night 21 St John’s

Signal Hill

Cape Spear,etc

Night 22 St John’s

Ferryland

LaManche

Mistaken Point

Night 23 St Mary’s(village)

Cataract ProvincialPark

Cape St Mary's

Night 24 St Bride’s

Night 25 Argentia- auto ferry 1 to North

Sydney,NS (night sailing with sleeping cabin)

Night 26 NS location depends on ferry schedule

Night 27 (if needed ) NB ditto

Edited: 23 September 2012, 15:41
Gros Morne National...
Destination Expert
for Newfoundland and Labrador
Level Contributor
1,662 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Newfoundland Road Trip

Newfoundland has some great areas for kayaking, including areas that regular kayaking tours don't cover so by brining your own kayaks you can go when ever you see an area you would like to explore.

Newfoundland, however, is a very dangerous area to kayak and people drown every year, usually from inexperience. Picture NL like a huge wedge, outdoor activites in NL are like travelling along the thin edge of the wedge and that is what makes it so rewarding.

However, when things go wrong they go horribly wrong. The risk with kayaking in NL is the rapid shift in weather and water conditions that can occur. I have seen condition shifts in as little at 5 minutes (10-20 minutes is more typical).

If you have a few hundred hours marine time and have re-entered a kayak enough times that you can do it in 4C water with 2' chop then you should be able to do it without a guide.

SOUTH FLORIDA
Level Contributor
102 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Newfoundland Road Trip

If you're looking for lodging, we stayed in St. Mary's last month at the Claddagh Inn. Its run by a young couple, Carol and Pat and she makes a delicious breakfast and dinner. If you make a reservation there, be sure to book a dinner reservation as well. You won't be sorry.. We stayed in Port Rexton (just about 10 mins from Trinity) at The Fisher's Loft Inn. This is also where the Skerwink Trail begins. In case your looking for laundry facilities, in Trinity, visit the Trinity Cabins (modest and rustic) run by Corrine and Glenn. They have facilities they open to the public from 2pm to 10pm. They also are a very pleasant couple and will tell you all about the area. Also, in Trinity, do the 2 1/2 hr historical walking tour with Kevin Toope ($10pp.) He's a local and will tell you all about the area. In Gros Morne, we stayed at the Wildflower B&B in Rocky Harbor. This was a good location as well and instead of a room in the B&B, we booked the private cottage. You'll also find laundry facilities in Rocky Harbor. I only mention this because when traveling for this length of time, we're always looking out for facilities. Hand washing gets old after awhile.

New Hampshire
Level Contributor
111 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Newfoundland Road Trip

This trip sounds amazing!!!! I"m so jealous!

St. John's, Canada
Level Contributor
123 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Newfoundland Road Trip

Some of my favourite kayaking areas in NL include Bonne Bay and Trinity Bay.

My experience with kayaking in NL is that morning and evening kayaking usually results in the flattest waters.

Both Bonne bay and Trinity Bay are easy to access with multiple spots for launching. In Bonne Bay you can be surrounded by the Tablelands and Gros Morne mountains ...quite beautiful. i was lucky this past summer to be entertained by a school of porpoises that came near my kayak on many mornings when I paddled out.

Trinity bay has sea caves that are beautiful to explore.

I would definately recommend bringing along your kayaks!

Edited: 25 September 2012, 23:12
5. Re: Newfoundland Road Trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 12 October 2012, 17:35
New England
Destination Expert
for Ogunquit
Level Contributor
2,249 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Newfoundland Road Trip

I was walking on the beach in Ogunquit,Maine (southern Maine coast) today and I came across a Northern Gannett, just resting.

Although these birds have been seen off the coast of new England, it is highly unusual to see one sitting on our well traveled beach. He was letting people approach to about 5 feet away. Some walkers thought he was injured, but then a wave from a very high tide, came up behind him and spooked him and he flew out to sea. What a sight!

I have to wonder if he was in migration from Cape St Mary's. Another beach walker, who is from Quebec was telling me about Bonavista Island and that they have the highest population of Gannets along with Cape St Mary's.

I was very excited to see this beautiful bird, my first time seeing one, knowing that we will be visiting their breeding grounds next summer in Newfoundland!

Edited: 20 October 2012, 23:18
New England
Destination Expert
for Ogunquit
Level Contributor
2,249 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Newfoundland Road Trip

Seeking a bit of advise here in regards to the Avalon Peninsula.

Our initial plan was to head south on the Irish Loop. Stops including but not limited to Witless Bay, Ferryland,LaManche and Mistaken Point, onto St Mary's (the village) for the night. The next day would take us to Colinet, Cataract, Cape St Mary's, with an overnight stay at Branch, St Bride's or Placentia (to catch the ferry to NS)

So here is my question..please read this trip report below ,that I found on another website. After reading this I am questioning the merits of doing the entire Irish Loop.I am wondering now if we should head to St Mary's Village from Ferryland and skip the loop. Would it be worth a 2 night stay in St Mary's village to see Mistaken Point (have to be there for the 1PM tour to get the most of the visit, from what I have read) Colinet and Cataract?

Would the drive from St Mary's village to Placentia be worthwhile if visiting Cape St Mary's would be the only "planned" activity?

Here is a portion of the trip report that is trying to sway my change of itinerary.

"Now I must tell you that though Frommers in their travel book lists this as a beautiful scenic ride and it was definitely not. We spent three hours seeing nothing. We were away from the coast and the land was truly barren. Back at our B&B our hosts advised that it really is not a very pretty ride that they felt bad not tellilng us this before we headed out. We encouraged them to let people know in future before they spent an entire afternoon driving through that section. When you get a certain distance down there are only two choices keep going or head back. I would strongly advise that when touring that part of the Avalon you go no further than Ferryland and then head back the same way you came"

Would you deem this an accurate description?

Thanks for your input.

Gros Morne National...
Destination Expert
for Newfoundland and Labrador
Level Contributor
1,662 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Newfoundland Road Trip

Yes, it is an accurate description .

You are best taking Route 13 from La manche then over to Colinet rather than doing the full loop.

Placentia, Canada
Level Contributor
736 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Newfoundland Road Trip

In a nutshell....from st.johns to the goulds is citylike,bay bulls to trepassy is shoreline,trepassy to colinet is a slight mixture of coastline and inland driving.

Colinet to Branch and onto cape st. marys is mainly inland except the communities .Once in st.brides the drive to placentia is 95 percent shoreline....you be the one who decides,

best aluck

New England
Destination Expert
for Ogunquit
Level Contributor
2,249 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Newfoundland Road Trip

Thanks..I just took a ride down the Irish Loop via Google earth street view. I can see now that some areas are very desolate (reminds me a bit of Cape Cod in New England) I certainly don't expect spectacular scenery everwhere we go and to get from Point A to Point B, we cannot fly like a crow(although that would be convenient, wouldn't it??)

So, we have to make the decision on what works best for us. We really don't want to miss Mistaken Point.

I did notice that there is not much in terms of petrol stations!

Fill up whenever we seeone,I guess, just like it was in Alaska this summer!