We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cape St George vs Captain Cook Trail

New England
Destination Expert
for Ogunquit
Level Contributor
2,235 posts
67 reviews
Save Topic
Cape St George vs Captain Cook Trail

We are trying to decide between visiting and staying at Cape St George vs driving the Captain Cook's Trail out to Lark Harbour and stying there instead. This will be on our way from Port Aux Basques to Gros Morne. We have allocated one night in this area.

We cannot seem to find much information on either of these 2 locations but the tourism book does promote Captain Cook's trail.

Which drive is more scenic?

Thank you

Gros Morne National...
Destination Expert
for Newfoundland and Labrador
Level Contributor
1,659 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cape St George vs Captain Cook Trail

This is my peeve with the Government issued tourism book, it does in fact promote all areas of the province equally. There are some very dull areas of the province that should be avoided. (Hint: You just found two of them :))

I should add Rose Blanche and the abandoned communities are the only attraction down in that area of the province.

Edited: 29 September 2012, 20:41
New England
Destination Expert
for Ogunquit
Level Contributor
2,235 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cape St George vs Captain Cook Trail

Oh dear, that is kind of disheartening to hear. We were watching some you tube videos of Cape St George and the cliff sides look spectacular. We will be visiting Rose Blanche. We will have so many long hours of driving on this trip we felt it best to take an extra day to get up to Gros Morne.

Gros Morne National...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
1,659 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cape St George vs Captain Cook Trail

I think the Port au Port peninsula in that area is worth an overnight stop.

Vermont
Level Contributor
242 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cape St George vs Captain Cook Trail

I have to disagree with Doggles on this one. He's a victim, I think, of Newfoundland's Avalon chauvinism. I'm not all that familiar with the Port au Port peninsula. Have only been there once. The ride along the west coast was beautiful, and there are some vestiges of the original French culture.

And I've heard that the old road from Black Duck Brook to Long Point is worth taking a walk on.

But I have been to Lark Harbor several times. The drive along the Humber River has spectacular views. Lark Harbor is a small village with a great cafe. And there is a hike on the cliffs above Bottle Cove that looks down on crashing waves and sea caves. There's a great B&B in York Harbor with a cottage right on the water.

Another beautiful spot to stay overnight is the Inn at the Cape Anguille Lighthouse. A little pricey, perhaps, but a spectacular place. Much closer to PaB than Cape St. George but that might be a good thing if you're tired from the ferry ride.

When you're in Rose Blanche, you'll certainly visit the lighthouse. There's a B&B right there. Ask one of the guides to tell you how to get to one of the paths, that are still used, that were the only way of getting around Rose Blanch/Harbor LeCou/Diamond Cove before there were roads. It will give you a taste of what an outport community was like.

Have a great trip.

Jordan

Gros Morne National...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
1,659 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cape St George vs Captain Cook Trail

I think we may be on the same page after all!

I was thinking of Cape St. George being the area of land between Corner Brook and the ferry, after checking my map, Cape St. George is a town (Yes, that I have even visited) on the Port au Port Peninsula. You will actually like Cape St. George, the entire peninsula is very pretty.

As Jordan says, I am a huge regional chauvinist when it comes to spending my time and money. I am not a department of tourism shill, and like it or not there are some very dull areas in Newfoundland. There are probably 5 fantastic regions in Newfoundland, 10 great areas and 20 areas that you should fit in if you have time. With only a month to spend here why waste you time and money in the dull areas.

New England
Destination Expert
for Ogunquit
Level Contributor
2,235 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cape St George vs Captain Cook Trail

Well, I feel better now!

We are going to save our decision on where to stay that first night off the ferry until after we see the ferry schedule that does not come out until January 2013. Even at that we are at the mercy of the sea conditions to determine how far we can get that first day. We plan to go to Rose Blanche, no question. I am thinking that Cape St George will be a good spot to stay overnight, before knowing the ferry schedules. Do you know if the ferry usually has a daily overnight run from North Sydney? If it doesn't, that changes our game plan . That information is not on Marine Atlantic's website.

Doggles, please share with me the 10 great areas and 20 areas that you suggest to fit in if we have the time. I am really interested to see if our itinerary covers some/most of these!

Thanks for your take on this,Jordan. I have made note.

Thanks!

Gros Morne National...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
1,659 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cape St George vs Captain Cook Trail

Not in order but here are my current 5-10-20 lists:

The 5:

1. St. John's

2. Labrador

3. Fogo

4. Gros Morne

5. Trinity (This one usually falls off onto the 10 list)

The 10:

1. Cape St. Marys Eco Reserve

2. L'Anse aux Meadows

3. Bonavista

4. Mistaken Point

5. Bay Bulls/Witless Bay

6. Port au Port Peninsula

7. St. Anthony

8. The south coast

9. Ferryland

10. St. Shotts

The 20:

1. Saint Pierre et Miquelon

2. Point Amour

3. Twillingate

4. Port aux Choix

5. Bell Island

6. Quirpon Island

7. Grand Bank and Fortune

8. Eastport and Salvage

9. Burnt Cape Ecological Reserve

10. Brigus

11. Cupids

12. Conche

13. Cape Race

14. Terra Nova National Park

15. Elliston

16. Boyd's Cove (a little dull but it's our history)

17. The Arches Provincial Park

18. The Cataracs

19. Abandoned community of Lamanche

20. Heart's Content, Heart's Delight, Harbour Grace area

Scunthorpe, United...
Level Contributor
3,583 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Cape St George vs Captain Cook Trail

I've not been to Cape St George but have been to Lark Harbour and wrote a detailed trip report which you can read here:

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g154962-i754-k40…

Pictures to go with it are here:

wasleys.org.uk/Canada/…index.html

Banks, Oregon
Level Contributor
2,337 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cape St George vs Captain Cook Trail

ok, EESW, now you're in trouble ;0). showing those wonderful pictures :) Just last night I was flipping through the channels on the telly and the Weather Channel had a show called "Iceberg Hunters"----and the guys are coming out from St. Anthony! Oh but I had a tug on my heartstrings. Now your beautiful pics----more tugs.

Em-T-sails----I am jealous----enjoy your trip-----I know you will. all the best.

New England
Destination Expert
for Ogunquit
Level Contributor
2,235 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Cape St George vs Captain Cook Trail

Doggles,

I am happy to report that our still ever evolving to-do list consists of:

4 out of 5

8 out of 10

12 out of 20

EESW- I have enjoyed reading your trip reports and seeing your beautiful photos.I was glad that we have chosen to see Cape Breton Island BEFORE Newfoundland, especially after reading your reports. I wondered if it would be better to visit on the way or on the way back from Newfoundland.

Oregon-We just discovered Iceberg Hunters as well..it is fun to see the scenery and bits of culture in these shows. When we went to Alaska this past summer we watched all the Alaska reality shows and it really kept us psyched to leave!

What were the odds that a Newfoundland show would start up as we prepare for our journey!

Edited: 01 October 2012, 21:48