We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Open container laws-transporting in a vehicle

New England
Destination Expert
for Ogunquit
Level Contributor
2,231 posts
67 reviews
Save Topic
Open container laws-transporting in a vehicle

I am having difficulty finding the open container laws for Newfoundland.

What I am looking for is--if we open a bottle of wine and don't finish it can we transport it in the car to our next lodging destination? I am not refering to from a restaurant, but I am thinking about if we have a glass of wine in the evening in our B&B or room, or even a picnic area where alcohol is allowed can it be transported in the vehicle after opening?

In NH it can be as long as it is stored in the trunk or far out of reach of the driver. Do the same rules pertain in Newfoundland?

Edited: 10 January 2013, 01:52
Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
2,564 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Open container laws-transporting in a vehicle

If you put your open bottle of wine into the trunk you'll be fine. Provided the passengers can't reach it from within the moving vehicle such as with a minivan or hatchback. Even then I highly doubt the cop would give you a hard time unless you were driving impaired which is an entirely different story altogether.

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
17,735 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Open container laws-transporting in a vehicle

I am not 'up" on the ins-and-outs of Newfoundland and Labrador's liquor laws, but, assuming they are similar to those of other provinces in Canada, drinking alcoholic beverages is not allowed at picnic areas, nor at any public places other than those that have a liquor license.

Edited: 10 January 2013, 02:56
Vermont
Level Contributor
240 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Open container laws-transporting in a vehicle

From Newfoundland statutes:

80. (1) A person shall not drive or have the care or control of a motor vehicle as defined in the Highway Traffic Act, whether it is in motion or not, while there is contained in it, alcoholic liquor, except

(a) alcoholic liquor in a bottle or package that is unopened and the seal unbroken; or

(b) alcoholic liquor in a bottle or package that is packed with personal effects in baggage that is fastened closed or that is not otherwise readily available to a person in the vehicle.

Have a great trip.

Jordan

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
17,735 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Open container laws-transporting in a vehicle

If I am not mistaken, Newfoundland and Labrador has also joined many other provinces in using .05 BAC as the max before license suspensions kick in... (See the last sentence under "Traffic Regulation"): explorenewfoundlandandlabrador.com/newfoundl…

Edited: 10 January 2013, 03:06
New England
Destination Expert
for Ogunquit
Level Contributor
2,231 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Open container laws-transporting in a vehicle

bnimo, that is exactly what I was looking for, thanks!

Edited: 10 January 2013, 10:00
Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
2,564 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Open container laws-transporting in a vehicle

In regards to having a glass of wine during a picnic. Yes, it's illegal but if you don't get drunk and don't advertise you'll be fine. I've seen many people enjoying a glass of wine while having a picnic in a park. Especially if you're secluded. But you surely will be taking a chance of getting a fine if you are caught. I'm just saying you won't be bothered if you're smart about it.

Edited: 10 January 2013, 16:05
Banks, Oregon
Level Contributor
2,000 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Open container laws-transporting in a vehicle

em-T-sails, I've got an idea :) If you can't finish the bottle at one B&B, offer to share it with some of the other guests (or hosts). No, really, though, I was at a B&B in Trout River and 3 other ladies there (from Vancouver Island) brought out a bottle of wine they had brought and offered me a glass---we had such a great time visiting . Fun way to meet people! :)

New England
Destination Expert
for Ogunquit
Level Contributor
2,231 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Open container laws-transporting in a vehicle

Ok, we will skip the picnic idea but I LOVE the sharing idea, Oregon! That's a fabulous idea. I cannot wait for this trip!

Banks, Oregon
Level Contributor
2,000 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Open container laws-transporting in a vehicle

Oh good! I know you will have loads of fun. I traveled alone and it was amazing just how many times people would insist I come join them at their table (the local Newfoundlanders) when they saw me eating alone---really wonderful people.

10. Re: Open container laws-transporting in a vehicle

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 January 2014, 06:19