We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

pet friendly

Toronto
1 post
Save Topic
pet friendly

planning a motor trip to Newfoundland and want to bring my little dog....any problems on the Ferry with dogs? Also, is it best to stay in North Sydney for the morning ferry or is Sydney close enough?

Frances Bender

Corner Brook, Canada
Level Contributor
38 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: pet friendly

Hi Frances,

I moved to Newfoundland last August with my cat. We stayed overnight at the Holiday Inn in Sydney, and didn't have any trouble getting to the ferry the next morning. There's not a lot of traffic, although its about a 30 minute drive.

As for on the ferry, you have two options. You can leave your pet in your car or put them in a pet room in their kennel. Marine Atlantic recommends leaving your pet in the car, because its less stressful for them, and I agree. I was nervous about Cloe the whole trip, but when I got back to my car she was sleeping and perfectly content. I also made sure to tell each employee I encountered about my cat, and they directed me to the best place to park and kept an eye out for her during the voyage.

Also, my parents took a look at the pet room when they made the crossing, and they said it was very loud and busy. Its really only designed for pets who can't stay in the car for some reason (like a bad bladder).

I hope this helps and have a great trip!

Brittany

Blind Bay, BC
Level Contributor
1,002 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: pet friendly

Did you check the top questions on the right hand side about travelling by ferry with dogs?

Gros Morne National...
Destination Expert
for Gros Morne National Park
Level Contributor
691 posts
425 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: pet friendly

We just crossed with three dogs on Sunday, kennel the dog in the car or leave out. You wont be able to go down to check once the ferry sails but it works for us.Their is a comfort inn in Sydney which is pet friendly. This time we stayed out in new glassgow NS and drove the 2.5 hrs but usually we stay around the causeway in Cape Breton and save 20-30% and do the drive to the terminal in morning. We cross once in the fall and back in the spring.I would not use marine Atlantic kennels due who knows the last time they where cleaned if they still have them,but they have a room you can use with your own kennel but I think they have a charge for it's use.Sydney is maybe 10-15 minutes to the terminal make sure you arrive 2 hrs ahead not 1hr and 59 minutes as this gets you a $25.00 re booking charge or cancelled out right.

4. Re: pet friendly

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 April 2014, 05:15