We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Restaurant recommendatons?

New England
Destination Expert
for Ogunquit
Level Contributor
2,274 posts
90 reviews
Save Topic
Restaurant recommendatons?

I am getting really excited about our upcoming trip to Newfoundland. I would love to hear of recommendations of where the locals eat in the following areas:

Rocky Harbour

Woody Point

St Anthony/L'Anse Aux Meadows

Twillingate

Fogo

Trinity

St John's

Trepassey

Branch,St Bride's area

Placentia

Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Newfoundland
Newfoundland
Newfoundland and Labrador, Canada
Rocky Harbour
Rocky Harbour
Gros Morne National Park, Canada
Woody Point
Woody Point
St. Anthony
St. Anthony
Newfoundland, Canada
L'Anse aux Meadows
L'Anse aux Meadows
Newfoundland, Canada
St. John's
St. John's
Newfoundland, Canada
1 post
Save Reply
1. Re: Restaurant recommendatons?

We just got back from a week long vacation in Newfoundland. Our favorite meal was in Twillingate at the restaurant inside the Anchor Inn. Great food, beautiful view, & friendly staff. If you plan on staying in Twillingate, I highly recommend the Anchor Inn. We spent the majority of our trip in St. John's but after getting out there we wished we'd spent more time outside the city. Such beautiful scenery! Enjoy your trip!

Mentioned in this post
Newfoundland
Newfoundland
Newfoundland and Labrador, Canada
Twillingate
Twillingate
Newfoundland, Canada
St. John's
St. John's
Newfoundland, Canada
New England
Destination Expert
for Ogunquit
Level Contributor
2,274 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Restaurant recommendatons?

Thanks, JML. We already have lodging secured for 3 nights in Twillingate but we will keep the Anchor Inn restaurant in mind. Did you per chance go to the All Around the Circle Dinner theater? I wondered how the food is?

Mentioned in this post
Twillingate
Twillingate
Newfoundland, Canada
Peterborough, Canada
Level Contributor
2 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Restaurant recommendatons?

We are heading back to Nfld for a month but on our last trip about 5 years ago ate at a number of smaller local restaurants but can't recall the names right now but can give you description:

Rocky Harbour - Treasure Box - a small gift shop & restaurant combo on the right side at 72 Main St heading north to lighthouse point - doesn't look like much but great fish chowder & moose burger soup made fresh by local ladies working in the kitchen

Twillingate - Main street there is a seafood store that also sells fish & chips that were excellent - can't recall name & don't recognize on TA reviews but may have been J&J Seafoods but no picture - has only a couple of small tables as I recall to the side of the seafood shop

St John's: check out The Ship Inn for great Pan Fried Cod (very lightly battered) & excellent selection of craft beer - it is off a set of stairs that runs down between George & Duckworth below it . Same folks run Duke of Duckworth but The Ship is a some what quieter location & an interesting pub with many locals hanging out there.

Hope this isn't too late for your trip. Would be interested in any feedback on other's you find or found.

Mentioned in this post
Rocky Harbour
Rocky Harbour
Treasure Box
Treasure Box
249 Reviews
Rocky Harbour, Canada
Twillingate
Twillingate
Newfoundland, Canada
St. John's
St. John's
Newfoundland, Canada
Duke of Duckworth
Duke of Duckworth
780 Reviews
St. John's, Canada
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
15,185 posts
787 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Restaurant recommendatons?

If you like Indian Food, I highly recommend India Gate on Duckworth in St. John's, the best Indian food I have ever ate, anywhere!

Edited: 07 July 2013, 15:33
Mentioned in this post
St. John's
St. John's
Newfoundland, Canada
5. Re: Restaurant recommendatons?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 July 2014, 05:16