We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

west coast, trip planning

Montreal
Level Contributor
45 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
west coast, trip planning

Hi - My husband and I are planning our first trip (driving) to Newfoundland July 17-29 arriving at Port Aux Basques (have already booked the ferry). Want to explore the West Coast, up to St. Anthony and back. Will spend one night in Stephenville on the way back to visit family. Prefer drives of about 2 hrs. a day and if possible, an occasional opportunity to fish or golf. Need advice re which are the prettiest towns to stop at on our route and B&B suggestions (quiet, comfortable beds, with private bath) in those towns and restaurant suggestions would also be welcome. Thanks so much!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
15,154 posts
766 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: west coast, trip planning

A very relaxed pace, does your trip dates include the drive to and from Montreal, or exclusively on the Island?

Montreal
Level Contributor
45 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: west coast, trip planning

exclusively in Newfoundland - planning to drive via Cape Breton for some golf before taking the ferry...

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
1,057 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: west coast, trip planning

Hmmm...2 hours of driving isn't going to get you very far in Newfoundland, especially on the Northern Peninsula. It takes about 1.25 hours just to drive from one end of Gros Morne Park to the other end on Hwy 430 (southern park boundary to Cow Head). Cow Head to St. Anthony is another 3-4 hours so two more days to get to St. Anthony?

Just from Port-aux-Basques to Corner Brook is about 2.5 hours.

You are indeed planning a very relaxed trip. Best of luck.

Montreal
Level Contributor
45 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: west coast, trip planning

Thanks - good to know. So let's say we spend more time driving, where should we concentrate? We plan to spend 2-3 days around St. Anthony/L'Anse and certainly 2-3 days in Gros Morne park area and 1-2 nights Stephenville. Which towns would you recommend as stopping off points? any B&B recommendations in or close to those areas? i.e. Rocky Harbor or Woody Point, Cow Head or Portland Creek, Port aux Choix?

May thanks, Gail

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
1,057 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: west coast, trip planning

I can recommend:

tripadvisor.ca/Hotel_Review-g580446-d1852216…

and

tripadvisor.ca/Hotel_Review-g445054-d1112286…

and

tripadvisor.ca/Hotel_Review-g499189-d217964-…

I've stayed at all three and they were all decent but the Trout River and Deer Lake B&Bs were better than the St. Anthony one. I would stay at any of them again if in the area.

I've also stayed at:

tripadvisor.ca/Hotel_Review-g1102725-d572627…

I've stayed in the B&B cabins and the motel part. Both were OK but nothing special.

See my reviews (and others) for each for more information.

Vermont
Level Contributor
242 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: west coast, trip planning

Stay at the Rose Sea B&B in Rose Blanche when you get off the ferry. Visit the lighthouse and walk the paths people used before there were roads (1960's). Eat at the Seashore Restaurant in Margaree, the best fish and chips in NL.

The Cape Anguille Lighthouse Inn in the Codroy Valley is beautiful as are the beaches in Cape Ray.

The Bay of Islands is a bit of a drive from Corner Brook off the Trans-Can but worth it. Stay at Captain Cooks Bed and Breakfast. Wonderful couple will feed you well and tell you all you want to know about fishing.

In the St. Anthony area stay at the Tickle Inn or the Quirpon Lighthouse Inn. Both beautiful and great, great food. Visit the Grenfell House Museum (read about Wilfred Grenfell before you go. An amazing story). Take a tour of the Burnt Cape Ecological Reserve. You'll see miniature flowers and bushes that grow no where else because of the hard winter climate and winds.

Have a great trip.

Gander NL
Level Contributor
948 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: west coast, trip planning

All good suggestions above. We like the Anchor something restaurant in Port aux Choix for seafood. It's the second restaurant, right across the road from the fish plant.Also Ben Ploughman's museum and art studio there.

Norseman Restaurant was a dining experience when we went a few years ago at L'Anse aux Meadow. Highly recommend.Caribou tenderloin and partridgeberry chutney.

We liked Trout River too but haven't stayed to recommend a place.

Yes, do Grenfell, also drive to Conche and Croque if you don't mind gravel roads. The French Tapestry is great in the museum in Conche.Tickle Inn and Quirpon are highly recommended but I think pricy. We have stayed in the Fishing Point B and B and it was great. Literally on the water.

Montreal
Level Contributor
45 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: west coast, trip planning

Thanks so much for your suggestions - makes my route/accommodation/meal planning much easier - exactly the suggestions I was hoping to get.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
11 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: west coast, trip planning

Hello Gail!

We plan to drive from Montreal to Halifax or Moncton, take ferry to New Foundland, Gros Morne. Seeing that you made the trip, where will be the best town to take ferry. Thanks@!

Edited: 26 July 2014, 19:30
St. John's, Canada
Destination Expert
for Newfoundland and Labrador
Level Contributor
3,422 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: west coast, trip planning

The NL ferry terminal is in North Sydney in Nova Scotia to either Port aux Basques or Argentia. Seeing you want to go to Gros Morne, the closest ferry to Gros Morne is Port aux Basques.

Edited: 26 July 2014, 20:56