We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

visiting Nfld in late May or early June? good or not?

Glastonbury...
Level Contributor
1,414 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
visiting Nfld in late May or early June? good or not?

I am considering a trip to Nfld in 2015 and want to visit early enough in the season that I don't have to book advance reservations for rental car and b&b's.

I would by flying myself (single engine Cessna) so having a few days flex with weather would be nice since it is after all the foggiest place in the world arguably!

In terms of weather, I'm not really picky about it (on the ground), I'd just want it to be above freezing with minimal snow chance. Heck......I even like rain and fog in a place like Nfld as long as it isn't every day.

Having long hours of daylight that time of year is a plus since I want to minimize night driving and flying.

The only concern I have is if it'd b too early 1st wk June to take a wildlife or whale watch cruise? But most importantly can I show up without reservations that time of year?

Thanks everyone! I'm hoping to make it but the Bahamas keeps stealing all my $$ past 6 yes!

Edited: 26 March 2014, 04:59
Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
19,645 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: visiting Nfld in late May or early June? good or not?

I'll let others address your questions... I just have one comment... Bahamas verses The Rock?!?! Seriously?!?!

Good on ya!!

Cheers,

Terry

St. John's, Canada
Destination Expert
for Newfoundland and Labrador
Level Contributor
3,510 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: visiting Nfld in late May or early June? good or not?

Late May early June the weather can be variable from warm and sunny (maybe!) to cold and rainy. Personally, I would still pre book my rental vehicle to ensure getting the best price and the vehicle I want. Not everything will be open for the season in late May, but many attractions, B&B etc are. For example, Gatheralls is open for boat tours www.gatheralls.com/rates.php#.UzK9cahdWSo

Other than the car you can probably go without reservations.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
15,154 posts
766 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: visiting Nfld in late May or early June? good or not?

The later you can come, the more likely the weather will be nicer....It's not guaranteed mind you, but in general, the later in June will be better than May...

Glastonbury...
Level Contributor
1,414 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: visiting Nfld in late May or early June? good or not?

Thanks everyone!!

Just to clarify about the weather, I am not really that picky. While it would be nice to have it mostly in the 50's, as long as its above freezing its warm enough since I won't be going swimming or anything like that!

Unlike the Bahamas where I am most picky about the weather and want it 85 and sunny, in NFLD it almost feels in place to have it cool and damp, and foggy.

Granted I don't want it foggy the whole time, but it it were 50% of the trip (planning for 10 days), I wouldn't mind.

So to sum it up, i'd rather have it in the 40's and not have it busy with other tourists, than have it in the 60's or 70's and have it busy.

The hours of daylight are as long in late may as they are in late July, so that is in my favor.

Edited: 26 March 2014, 14:21
Gros Morne National...
Destination Expert
for Newfoundland and Labrador
Level Contributor
1,662 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: visiting Nfld in late May or early June? good or not?

No, you don't have to make reservations to travel in Newfoundland.

However, if you want to travel in June - Sept you will need them. So if you are looking for a more carefree travel style go May or October.

June can be a rainy foggy month. June is also too early for whales, which are usually July and August.

Reservations are only needed in Newfoundland if you have expecations. If you expect to have a rental car, have lodging in a specific town of a specific quality you will need a reservation.

Penticton, Canada
Level Contributor
13,009 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: visiting Nfld in late May or early June? good or not?

hi

Accommodations mostly B&B in small towns will be better then Shefferville any day....LOL (-: Looking forward to seeing the pics; we are planning a visit for 2015.

Have a look at what it takes to land in St Pierre (& Miquelon) the French islands off the east coast. Only good to fly over if you get a couple of clear days. I have an experience where we flew in on a Friday and had to leave via the ferry on the Sunday because there was no sign the fog was going to lift so we could not get a flight out and get back to work on time.

tourisme-saint-pierre-et-miquelon.com/en/30-…

there was discussion on TA about flying to St. Anthony to see icebergs in the last couple of days. Also look at Fogo Island. both bike friendly locations.

this a great link for icebergs times and locations http://www.icebergfinder.com/

cheers

cbaarch

7. Re: visiting Nfld in late May or early June? good or not?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 March 2015, 05:16