We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Would like to hear Itineraries of Iceberg Visitors in June

Vancouver
Level Contributor
607 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Would like to hear Itineraries of Iceberg Visitors in June

Would love to be able to take my son to St. Anthony this June to see the Icebergs, but it may not happen because of lack of flights. So would like to hear from others that are planning a trip or have been to Newfoundland and travelled from the tip of St. Anthony to view Icebergs then headed back to St. John's. I may have to leave this trip for next June, so would love to hear my best options for booking.

Penticton, Canada
Level Contributor
12,112 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Would like to hear Itineraries of Iceberg Visitors in June

hi

I came across a photoblog by Dr. Robert Berdan late June 2013 when doing research for our trip next year. There are 3 parts to his blog, this is #3 which is mostly around Twinllingate. There is mention of Icebergs if you scroll down. canadiannaturephotographer.com/newfoundland3…

I did some checking on flights today; they are cheaper than what I found last fall. I used www.kayak.com

Edited: 27 March 2014, 02:57
Penticton, Canada
Level Contributor
12,112 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Would like to hear Itineraries of Iceberg Visitors in June

this may help it show maps and dates from last year. http://icebergfinder.com/

St. John's, Canada
Destination Expert
for Newfoundland and Labrador
Level Contributor
3,355 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Would like to hear Itineraries of Iceberg Visitors in June

Is there any particular reason you want to return to St. John's? If you want to go to St. Anthony, your best bet would be to fly to Deer Lake and get your rental car there. The driving distance would be much shorter. Both Westjet and Air Canada fly to Deer Lake every day.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
1,057 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Would like to hear Itineraries of Iceberg Visitors in June

I don't understand "lack of flights". There are plenty of flights in/out of Deer Lake every day and if you really must fly in/out of St. John's there are also many flights each day. Gander is also a possibility but the poorest choice of the three unless you need to get to Gander.

If you want to go to St. Anthony fly in to Deer Lake, pick up your PRE-BOOKED rental car and it is about a 5.5-6 hour drive without stops at the speed limit. Realistically, depending upon weather, adherence to the speed laws and time of day, it can easily be done in 5 hours.

If you mean "lack of flights" in/out of St. Anthony then I understand but generally speaking folks don't fly in/out of St. Anthony since it is incredibly expensive and there are a very limited number of flights.

Edited: 27 March 2014, 11:23
Vermont
Level Contributor
242 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Would like to hear Itineraries of Iceberg Visitors in June

If there's some particular reason you need to be in St. Johns then you might think of flying there, renting a car and hoping there are icebergs in the Twillingate area. It's about the same distance as it is from Deer Lake to St. Anthony. The chances of seeing icebergs is much better in St. Anthony than in Twillingate, especially early in the season.

Very few people fly into St. Anthony. The airport is miles from the town. Not sure if there's a car rental agency there.

As noted above, if you're going to rent a car get it reserved now.

Have a great trip.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
1,057 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Would like to hear Itineraries of Iceberg Visitors in June

bnimo, just to reinforce and clarify the St. Anthony airport for you and the OP - the airport is about +50kms (45 minutes drive based on Google maps) from the town of St. Anthony. There is ONE car rental agency there but it is doubtful that they have a lot of vehicles. Having never rented from them I don't have first-hand knowledge but I would expect the rental rates to be high considering where they are and that they are the only game in town.

7. Re: Would like to hear Itineraries of Iceberg Visitors in June

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 March 2015, 05:17