We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary Critique

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
71 posts
59 reviews
Save Topic
Itinerary Critique

Hello,

I posted a few months ago and got great advice that helped me get started in our trip planning - in fact you moved me from a Western trip to an Eastern trip.

We leave this Saturday and I have an itinerary roughly put together. I would LOVE any and all suggestions, including places to eat and best routes to drive. We had to shorten our trip by a day at the last minute so it has made things a little bit less cohesive. It is my husband and I and we are travelling with our 18 year old daughter and 15 year old son. Most things are booked, except the Puffin and Whale tour which can still be changed.

Saturday, August 9, 2014

Accommodation: Rental Home

Itinerary: Arrive 4:00 p.m. and rent car

Suggestions for the evening - would love to hear local music, although none of us drink and we have a minor with us???

Sunday, August 10, 2014

Itinerary: Geo Centre or the Rooms?

Cape Spear

Signal Hill - Harbour Walk Trail

Monday, August 11

Itinerary: 10:45 Whale and Puffin Tour - Gatherall’s

Back to St. John's for what we didn't finish

Would love to hike part of the East Coast Trail - need suggestions

Tuesday, August 12

Accommodation: Captain Blackmore’s, Port Union

Itinerary: Leave St. John’s and drive to Port Union

Visit Random Passage Site

Hike Skerwink Trail

Check Into Hotel

Wednesday, August 13

Accommodation: Captain Blackmore’s Port Union

Itinerary: Trinity Day - Historic Walking Tour?

Lunch - Bonavista Social Club

2:00 p.m. Rising Tide Pageant

Thursday, August 14

Accommodation: The Capeway Motel

Itinerary: Leave Captain Blackmore’s and drive to Elliston

Drive through Elliston and look at Puffins

Drive to Bonavista - check out lighthouse and Ryan Premises

Drive to Capeway Motel - supper along the way

Friday, August 15

Accommodation:

Itinerary: Leave hotel early and visit Cape St. Mary’s

Drive to Ferryland area and visit Colony of Avalon if time

3:00 p.m. Ferryland Picnic

Drive back to St. John’s for the night.

Booked the Capeway Motel when we still had an extra day. Our son Loves birds, so seemed like a good idea, now thinking it will make for too much driving, but not sure if we can change at this point.

Thank you so much for any thoughts. I appreciate all of your help so much.

St. John's, Canada
Destination Expert
for Newfoundland and Labrador
Level Contributor
3,660 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary Critique

There is lots of entertainment around George Street and Water Street, but the problem is you have 2 minors with you (NL legal age is 19) Shamrock City Pub and O"Reilly's are two that offer live local music.

The Signal Hill Tattoo has its last performances on Aug 10. This is a group that dresses in period uniforms and re-enacts historic battles. You might want to check it out.

When in Bonavista, there are lots of puffins on the rocks just behind the lighthouse. And you might like to visit the Dungeon rock formation nearby before you go to the Ryan premises.

If you visit the Bonavista Social Club, be sure to watch for whales. We spent all week in the area and the whales have been playing around the shore, even jumping right out of the water. Newmans Cove has had the most action, hopefully they will still be around next week

I am not sure from your info how you plan to be in Trinity all day on Aug 13, yet eat lunch at the Bonavista Social Club which is 40 km from Trinity (in Upper Amherst Cove) on the opposite side of the peninsula.

Also, when driving from Port Union to Elliston be careful of the "back" road (route 238) which loops from the highway to Elliston and then through to Bonavista. The first part is in bad condition so most folks recommend going straight to Bonavista on route 230 and then use the other end of 238 to trace back to Elliston. Don't forget to check out the Sealers Memorial and the root cellars when you visit Elliston!

Bonavista to St. Brides is 4 hours of driving, but not impossible. Just don't be driving on route 100 too late in the evening as moose are always an issue at dusk.

It sounds like a great holiday, planned well with lots of activities. Have a great time!

Gander NL
Level Contributor
991 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary Critique

Shamrock and Erin's seem to be licensed for minors in the day. Shamrock also serves food but I know I'm late as I was there this afternoon instead of checking TA. Music often starts around 5 but there was an afternoon set today so call and check.

In Port Union take the time to see the Factory and Bungalow. These are amazing heritage sights. We've driven past for 20 years and only stopped last week. Tours are reasonably priced with a family rate and guided. Theme is about William Coaker and his formation of a fisherman's protection union but the Bungalow is amazing for the architecture, craftsmanship and furniture and art. Think Harrods of London a hundred years ago and marble statues!

Also, stop and see the Home from the Sea sealers museum when you go to Elliston. It is very well done and gives a better understanding of the hardships faced by sealers trying to feed their families. The art in the gallery is very moving as is the monument.

3. Re: Itinerary Critique

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 August 2015, 05:16