We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Plans for our holiday.

Which St. John's hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Townsville...
Level Contributor
652 posts
63 reviews
Save Topic
Plans for our holiday.

We plan on arriving in St. John's around the 28th of July and staying for one week. Family says we have to be there for Regatta Day :-)

I haven't been home since 1987 so I'm sure alot has changed and I'll be totally lost all over again.

Anyway, I'm bringing my husband, teenage kids and 1 7yr old daughter who have never been there before, so I want to make sure I bring them to all that I can during the day as I'm sure our evenings will be spent at the homes of aunts/uncles/cousins for dinner!

On my list of what we should do, where we should go are.......

Cabot Tower (obviously eh? lol)

Cape Spear (another obvious choice)

The Battery

Fort Amherst

Other things I was thinking of doing and wonder if its worth it is....

Railway Museum

Haunted Hike

GEO Centre

The Rooms (?)

Vault Into History Walking Tour - I thought this might be very informative not only to my family who has never been but even for myself.

Bannerman Park/Bowring Park

And then I was thinking of doing the Scademia boat tour or the Gatherall's one. I've looked at them both and they both cost the same and I am leaning more towards the Gatheralls but am wondering if there will be anything to see in late July/early August.

Also.....I wanted to do the "Irish Loop". I've read quite a bit on this as well and was wondering if anybody had any suggestions on the "must stop and see" list. It looks like we could spend the good part of a day on this....true?

Thanks for any help and information

St. Johns
13 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Plans for our holiday.

Cape St. Mary's and the Ecological Reserve might be a better day over the Irish Loop- that being said I never done the Irish Loop.

Call to the reserve first to ensure it's not fogged in- even if it's sunny in SJ's...

Include the North Head Trail when visiting Cabot Tower... it takes about 1 hour and includes a walk through the Battery neighbourhood.

Ken

Owen Sound, Canada
Level Contributor
628 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Plans for our holiday.

Late July /early August is still a good time for visiting Witless Bay. Try to do this the early part of your trip if possible. There will be 10's of thousands of puffins, murres [turres] kittiwakes [tickleace] and more. This is generally a good time for humpback whales as well.

If you folks enjoy music you might want to check out the Nfld and Labrador Folk Festival which is usually the first weekend in August in Bannerman Park. A chance to expose your kids to some of their heritage and some excellent music.

I wouldn't get too excited about either Bowring or Bannerman parks otherwise.

The Irish Loop can be interesting and will show your family places and landscapes they would never see in a million years here in Ontario.

You can check out the archeological dig at Ferryland for a glimpse of history from the 1600's.

Then travel south toward Trepassey. Soon you will encounter smaller and smaller trees then you will get into the 'barrens'. This is very similar to sub-arctic tundra and is made that way by the wind , mist and fog that is frequently found in this area. You can take the little road down to Cape Race for some wonderful scenery, a lighthouse [that you can climb, with a guide] and a small historical exhibit.

The Trepassey Motel is a nice spot to stop for lunch. Then you can head west toward St. Vincents. En route take a side trip down to Cape Pine. This is a great area to get out and walk around on the barrens examining the unique plant life etc. Cape Pine lighthouse and the adjacent cliffs are absolutely beautiful on a clear day. This whole area from Cape Race over to Peter's River is very good for spotting woodland caribou. We've had to stop our vehicles more than once over the years to let caribou pass by on the Cape Pine road.

A bit further west St. Vincent's Beach is not only a beautiful ocean beach buy often a good spot to see whales very close to shore.

Eventually you loop back north again towards St. John's. The Wilds golf course has a good restaurant where we've had lunch several times over the years.

Another wonderful day trip is Cape St. Mary's. About two hours away from St. John's. On a clear day it is one of the most beautiful views in eastern Canada. And the gannet colony is just astonishing. The chicks will be getting big by early August and you can watch the parents feeding them. .Imagine being on a 250 foot cliff just a matter of yards away from 12,000 big [ 5 1/2 foot wingspan] white , golden-headed birds. It is wonderful to watch them come soaring in and find their spots on the crowded sea stack where they nest. And to watch squadrons of them plunge-diving into the ocean.

Cape St. Mary's also has an excellent interpretive center and giftshop.

Are you familar with the song 'Let Me Fish Off Cape St. Mary's? Check it out when you have a chance.

cheers

Jerry

3. Re: Plans for our holiday.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 August 2009, 22:16