We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Late arrival - where to stay?

Which St. John's hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New Westminster...
Level Contributor
540 posts
251 reviews
Save Topic
Late arrival - where to stay?

We'll have four nights in St. John's in early August. We're thinking B&B, but on the first night our plane doesn't even land until after midnight. I'm thinking we want a plain but decent hotel that night. Any suggestions?

Powell River
Level Contributor
62 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Late arrival - where to stay?

We are arriving at the same time on June 1st. I have booked the economy Inn, it is rated #1 on trip advisor. They will pick us up from the airport. We run a B&B in BC and feel the same way about coming into a B&B that late at night. Thanks for being so considerate. Hope this has been helpful.

Have a great visit, Shirley

New Westminster...
Level Contributor
540 posts
251 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Late arrival - where to stay?

Shirley: The Economy Inn? I can't see any such place in St. John's, at any position much less #1.

Newfoundland, Canada
Level Contributor
229 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Late arrival - where to stay?

I've lived here a long time, and have never seen an Economy Inn...I'd double check your booking if I were you.

(Maybe it's a new name on an old hotel, just recently changed??)

Double Check, just to be sure.

East of Canada
Level Contributor
173 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Late arrival - where to stay?

The Airport Hotel has changed to a Comfort Inn or somesuch, iirc. (Perhaps part of a chain that includes "Economy Inn" for worldwide booking purposes ?) Still, it is a very nice place.

If you have until August (or even June), be inclined to seek something more interesting. Savour every moment. Most folks have at least a little momentum, even off the long flight. The city centre is only 10 mins away and well worth a look, particularly late at night.

Read a great offering, lately (though not sure it will last ? ... ask !) :

http://www.batteryhotel.com/

Check out similar deals/prices elsewhere downtown and tell the taxi driver to give you a scenic tour of the city on the way there. The difference in cab fare would ameliorate the premium paid to stay near airport shuttle.

Not sure you need to be immediately hustled to a hotel off the runway, first night at St. John's. Think departure, not arrival for this sort of accomodation. The town is too close. The Airport Inn is undoubtedly fine, well-appointed with great staff and good grub. Great for tourists, oil execs, etc arriving from out of town and who have to catch an early flight or a 'copter offshore.

Tucson, Arizona
Level Contributor
34 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Late arrival - where to stay?

Hi there! Usually when I arrive in late I either choose the Comfort Inn (the old Airport Inn) which is right near the airport, and they do have a shuttle that will pick you up...or the Holiday Inn which is a bit further. Personally, I have stayed at the Holiday Inn on more occasions, it is a bit nicer than the Comfort Inn...but no shuttle.

I did notice a newer Super 8 also nearby, but have not stayed there.

Hope you have a great trip!

Powell River
Level Contributor
62 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Late arrival - where to stay?

My deepest apologizes. I did check my reservation and it is the Extended Stay Deluxe St. John's-Downtown. Their phone number is 709.754.7888. It did begin with an E though! Sorry about that. The reviews were very good for this hotel.

Newfoundland, Canada
Level Contributor
229 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Late arrival - where to stay?

That sounds better...

You had me worried there for a while

New Westminster...
Level Contributor
540 posts
251 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Late arrival - where to stay?

Thanks, all. We found a B&B that doesn't mind if we arrive late. After all, the pubs will still be open, and we may not be the last ones in!

9. Re: Late arrival - where to stay?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 September 2009, 11:22