We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to do???

Birmingham
Level Contributor
40 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
What to do???

Will be in St. John's from 8:00 a.m. to 6 p.m. only. Don't have a clue what there is to see or do. Please recommend how to best spend my time -- sights, nature, history, shopping, etc. And will we need transportation from cruise port, or walking distance?

Mentioned in this post
St. John's
St. John's
Newfoundland, Canada
Fredericton, Canada
Destination Expert
for Fredericton, St. John's
Level Contributor
1,897 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What to do???

Arriving by cruise would be great! The harbour is right in the downtown. There are all kinds of shops and boutiques located along Water Street and Duckworth Street ( first two streets from the water front). Along with coffe shops and reataurants.

Try and get over to George Street for lunch (one street..many, many bars/pubs).

Thus far it is all walking distance.

I would recomend grabbing a cab to go up to Signal Hill (best view of the city).

I know there is soo much more and I'm sure you will have no problem filling your time.

If you have any other questions, please ask!

-mohiti (pure blood Newfoundlander)

Mentioned in this post
George Street
George Street
729 Reviews
St. John's, Canada
Signal Hill
Signal Hill
2,793 Reviews
St. John's, Canada
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
3,161 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What to do???

If you take a taxi up to Signal Hill, you might want to walk down to the Geo Centre on the way down -

www.geocentre.ca

I went because my husband wanted to go and I found it absolutely fascinating. You could then taxi from there either back to Water Street or on to The Rooms -

www.therooms.ca

There are lots of places to buy Newfoundland crafts along Water Street, but do a little comparison shopping. We found some price differences.

Also, Auntie Crae's on Water Street is a (very special) grocery store/deli which is a St. John's tradition and provides great food (baked goods, sandwiches, salads) that you can then take into the common room next door.

Here's the website for the City of St. John's on tourism -

www.stjohns.ca/visitors/index.jsp

Unlike the previous poster, I am not a native Newfoundlander, just someone who visited earlier this year and fell in love with it. Have fun!

Mentioned in this post
Signal Hill
Signal Hill
2,793 Reviews
St. John's, Canada
Newfoundland
Newfoundland
Newfoundland and Labrador, Canada
St. John's
St. John's
Newfoundland, Canada
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
3,161 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What to do???

It just occurred to me - another good place for lunch is the cafe in The Rooms. There are large glass windows with wonderful views of St. John's and the harbour below. We were lucky enough to get the table right in the corner with glass windows on two sides.

Mentioned in this post
St. John's
St. John's
Newfoundland, Canada
Oceanside, NY
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What to do???

Are you going on the Queen Mary out of NY too? Leaving 9/4???

Oceanside, NY
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What to do???

Are you going on the Queen Mary out of NY as well?

Canada
Level Contributor
9 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What to do???

Definitely get a cab to Signal Hill and look around Cabot Tower and take in the view.

Duckworth St. is also nice for boutique shopping, strolling, coffee; it runs parallel to Water Street and is only a few blocks up the hill.

Quidi Vidi village/Battery, at the base of Signal Hill, is very pretty as well - multi-coloured houses perched on the rocks, and even though it's close to town, it's a bit like an outport experience.

I also like to visit Cape Spear when I'm there. It's about a half hour (?) drive (I don't think any buses go there from town), but you get to stand on the easternmost point of land in North America, and see big old cannons and tunnels that were used during the war as well as a restored lighthouse keeper's cottage.

Mentioned in this post
Signal Hill
Signal Hill
2,793 Reviews
St. John's, Canada
Cabot Tower
Cabot Tower
321 Reviews
St. John's, Canada
Quidi Vidi
Quidi Vidi
406 Reviews
St. John's, Canada
7. Re: What to do???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 March 2010, 07:15
Get answers to your questions about St. John's
Recent Conversations