We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

advice

Jerusalem
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Topic
advice

We are 4 couples in their sixties [ages 62 - 69] intending to arrive June 27 and leave July 2. We cannot arrive before June 27 and we need to fly to Montreal July 2 so our time is unfortunately limited. We can handle light walks and are interested in history, culture, scenery and food. Have planned nothing yet - we are prepared to do a guided tour as well, but we're not sure if we have enough time. Would welcome advice / suggestions. Thank you.

Mentioned in this post
Montreal
Montreal
Quebec, Canada
Signal Hill
Historic Sites, Historic Walking Areas, Military Bases & Facilities, Points of Interest & Landmarks
Fredericton, Canada
Destination Expert
for Fredericton, St. John's
Level Contributor
1,896 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: advice

Welcome to the St. John's forum!

Depending on where you will be staying in St.John's a lot of your adventures could be within walking distance, if not out the frint door!

The Delta and Fairmont St. John's are both located downtown. THe Battery Hotel is just up from the downtown core.

As for history it will be all around you! Be sure to check out the Rooms (our art/cultural gallery)

http://www.therooms.ca/

Other areas of interest in the St. John's/surrounding area are:

Cape Spear (most easterly point in North America)

Murray Premises

Geo Science Center

Signal Hill

Fort Amherst

Petty Harbour

George Street

Downtown shopping

We have many awesome restaurants in the downtown area, too many to name. My fovorites would have to be THE CLASSIC CAFE ( great breakfast!, located on Duckworth Street East) and CHES'S FISH 'N' CHIPS! Best in town!

There is also a boat tour (or two by now!) The Scademia was the one I have gone on. Also there are a few outside the city that take you out to see puffins and whales.

Many of the local taxi companies also offer guided tours of the area. My father-in-law and his wife did one back in March with CITYWIDE taxi.

If there is anuthing else, please ask away!

Cheers!

Mentioned in this post
Signal Hill
Signal Hill
2,774 Reviews
St. John's, Canada
George Street
George Street
729 Reviews
St. John's, Canada
Classic Cafe
Classic Cafe
179 Reviews
St. John's, Canada
St. John's
St. John's
Newfoundland, Canada
St. John's
Level Contributor
9 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: advice

If you're into history and arts and culture, I can't think of a better place to visit than The Rooms. It's located right on the corner of Bonaventure Avenue and Military Road (some maps don't get it right), just up from the downtown core near Fort Amherst and not too far away from Bannerman Park. There's even a nice cafe there where you can catch a bite to eat after looking around the museum and art gallery a bit.

You can visit their website at http://www.therooms.ca/. 60+ admission is quite cheap at $5 per person. It's worth 5 times that in my opinion, but I'm very much into arts and culture.

I would strongly suggest staying away from The Battery Hotel and Suites. I stayed there last month and it was horrible, and they aren't taking the negative reviews here on TripAdvisor too well. Management is extremely arrogant and it should be avoided at all costs, even if it does have a nice view of the downtown core and the hotel.

For the scenery aspect of your trip, you definitely want to visit Signal Hill (Duckworth Street downtown becomes Signal Hill Road and you just go up there). It's a great spot and Cabot Tower (is it open all year? not sure) has a gift shop and you can go upstairs to the top and look around and all that. If you have a vehicle, Cape Spear National Park, just outside the city (via Blackhead Road through Shea Heights) is also a great spot.

Bowring Park (Waterford Bridge Road, west end) and Bannerman Park (Military Road, downtown) are nice, and you can see the Colonial Building at Bannerman Park. There's a little "park" next to the harbour too on Water Street, I forget the name (Harbourside Park?) with a war memorial and a place to sit down and look out over the harbour, etc.

There are some local shops and restaurants along Water Street and Duckworth Street, you can take a look around there as well... or the Johnson Geo Center on Signal Hill if you're into geology, there's lots to do.

Mentioned in this post
Signal Hill
Signal Hill
2,774 Reviews
St. John's, Canada
Cabot Tower
Cabot Tower
319 Reviews
St. John's, Canada
Fredericton, Canada
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
1,896 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: advice

I agree with Stojko regarding the Battery..great view but aside from that the rooms were/are very outdated.

We stayed at the MARRIOTTon Duckworth along with 20 other people from our wedding party this past March. Great location !

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
3,161 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: advice

If you have not already done so, have a look at this website -

http://www.newfoundlandlabrador.com

On the right hand side, you will see "Order Guides". We ordered their "travellers' guide" and found it very helpful in terms of what to do and places to stay. It also comes with a very useful map.

Newfoundland is larger than you might think. With four days, you are best to focus on St. John's and surrounding area (in the Avalon Peninsula).

In addition to the sights mentioned by the other posters, you may find Ferryland of interest. Ferryland is a very pretty place and home to an archaeological excavation of a very early (for us) community - 1600s. Here is the website -

http://www.heritage.nf.ca/avalon

You mention that you can handle "light walks". St. John's rises steeply from the water. Be prepared for a good cardiovascular workout if, for example, you walk from the waterfront up to The Rooms (well worth the taxi ride if that is preferable for your group).

We found Newfoundland to be a beautiful province with truly hospitable people. Enjoy.

Mentioned in this post
Ferryland
Ferryland
58 Reviews
Ferryland, Canada
Newfoundland
Newfoundland
Newfoundland and Labrador, Canada
St. John's
St. John's
Newfoundland, Canada
Newfoundland
Level Contributor
167 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: advice

The earlier replies are 99% accurate...except:

Tourists eat at Ches' Fish and Chips...the locals eat at Leo's on Freshwater Rd.

:)

Fredericton, Canada
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
1,896 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: advice

lol, too funny willwork!

But I still have to give my vote to CHES's.

Ches's was a bigger treat that McRotten's in my house.

arrgh, now I have a cracing for fries and dressing!! gotta come home again soon!

Minnesota
Level Contributor
379 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: advice

I keep plugging the University Botanical Gardens in Pippy Park. Of course, I'm a gardener, but it was a real highlight for our trip. A lot of plants should be in spectacular bloom at that time. There are also walking paths that give you a good idea of the local plants. It didn't hurt that a gentleman came up to us, asked about our trip and wondered what we thought about the gardens. When we found out he was the director of the whole place, he patiently answered our questions. Just one of the many wonderful people we met.

Mentioned in this post
Pippy Park
Pippy Park
56 Reviews
St. John's, Canada
Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
13,856 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: advice

Hi Jabel,

Welcome to the ST JOHN'S TRAVEL FORUM.

Hopefully you are still reading these replies (although haven't seen any comments from you here so far).

I came across this today, and realize that it might fit your circumstance when it comes to your fly-in options as WestJet flies Montreal to St John's (it is copied from a post I made for another NFLD Traveller who is contemplating a trip this summer).

== snip ==

I saw this ad in the *Ottawa Citizen* today... don't know if it fits your timeframe, but I thought of you, so I am passing it along.

WESTJET - 50% OFF Everywhere they fly

<< Book by MARCH 3, 2010 (tomorrow)... for Canadian Destinations and travel on select days until June 30, 2010. *

Book now at www.westjet.com ... or call your travel agent. >>

* FINE PRINT - Select Days for Canadian Destinations = Mondays, Tuesdays and Wednesdays. (there is more fine print in the ad, and probably more on line as well).

Hope this is (somewhat) helpful,

Cheers!

Wine-4-2

TO ANYONE ELSE READING THIS... WestJet has a similar 50% OFF Deal for all their Destinations (including the USA... USA Travel select days between May 3rd and June 30th). See their website for more info.

== end ==

Mentioned in this post
St. John's
St. John's
Newfoundland, Canada
Montreal
Montreal
Quebec, Canada
Ottawa
Ottawa
Ontario, Canada
9. Re: advice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 March 2010, 03:07
Oakville, Canada
Level Contributor
1,259 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: advice

Minor note to the thread - the Fairmont St John's was sold and is now the Sheraton.

p.s. I'm looking forward to testing the fish and chips, if it would just stop raining this week, hey I hear it is turning to snow.

<I missed the edit window on my last post to this thread- hopefully it is gone by now>

Edit ... nope please ignore if it still there.

Edited: 03 March 2010, 00:53
Mentioned in this post
St. John's
St. John's
Newfoundland, Canada
Get answers to your questions about St. John's
Recent Conversations