We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How heavy a jacket early May?

Ottawa Canada
Level Contributor
1,650 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
How heavy a jacket early May?

Looks like temps not over 11C in the 15 day forecast and wondering if lighter rainproof jacket with sweater and other layers (my preference) OK or should I go for heavier jacket with lining? Not doing a lot of longer hiking - walking around downtown St. John's and then car rental to toodle around Avalon peninsula and maybe boat tour to see puffins.

Signal Hill
Historic Sites, Historic Walking Areas, Military Bases & Facilities, Points of Interest & Landmarks
Owen Sound, Canada
Level Contributor
628 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: How heavy a jacket early May?

The boat tour will be COLD and you will probably also be visting Signal Hill, Cape Spear and other exposed seaside locations. I would certainly bring something moderately heavy and waterproof. A wind resistant /waterproof winter jacket with a zip - out liner would be ideal. You are not only dealing with air temperature but wind and dampness as well. Even in July several layers are often necessary on the Witless Bay trip.

cheers

Jerry

Mentioned in this post
Signal Hill
Signal Hill
2,775 Reviews
St. John's, Canada
Witless Bay
Witless Bay
Newfoundland, Canada
Ottawa Canada
Level Contributor
1,650 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How heavy a jacket early May?

Thank you. I have jacket like you describe so will bring that.

3. Re: How heavy a jacket early May?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 October 2010, 09:05
Get answers to your questions about St. John's
Recent Conversations