We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transatlantic Cruise - Only 9 hrs in this port

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
53 posts
119 reviews
Save Topic
Transatlantic Cruise - Only 9 hrs in this port

I need advice from some fellow Cruisers. Is the pier close enough to the center of town to walk? I am considering using my limited time to walk about the city center and just see what I can instead of buying an expensive tour on the ship. Thoughts/

Signal Hill
Historic Sites, Historic Walking Areas, Military Bases & Facilities, Points of Interest & Landmarks
Gros Morne National...
Destination Expert
for Newfoundland and Labrador
Level Contributor
1,664 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Transatlantic Cruise - Only 9 hrs in this port

Yes, the boat will dock in the center of the downtown. So everything is within walking distance.

If you were looking for a tour, I would suggest "British Island Tours" they are the double decker bus company, a great tour and only $25. You're right the on board tours are VERY expensive.

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
53 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Transatlantic Cruise - Only 9 hrs in this port

Thank you very much. This is exactly what I needed to know. British Island Tours sounds like the alternative I wanted.

Oakville, Canada
Level Contributor
1,254 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Transatlantic Cruise - Only 9 hrs in this port

Downtown is a fairly compact area and reasonably walkable assuming you are fit. If your visit coincides with lunch then I'd recommend a visit to the Cafe at the The Rooms (much better than it sounds - good food and good view, and assuming not a foggy day) - that's at the top of the town so take a taxi if you don't want the climb. Look it up on TA here.

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
53 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Transatlantic Cruise - Only 9 hrs in this port

Thank you. I will definitely check out The Rooms for lunch. The view sounds very worthwhile.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
3,158 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Transatlantic Cruise - Only 9 hrs in this port

This thread from last year discusses some options for the time you have -

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g154964-i755-k3064…

Oakville, Canada
Level Contributor
1,254 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Transatlantic Cruise - Only 9 hrs in this port

@starlight1967 - It is - BTW the Cafe at the rooms is really popular as it is a favorite "lunch for business people and ladies haunt" - tables fill up soon after noon, they don't take bookings. It is more of a restaurant than cafe which is a bit of a misnomer for it. There are lots of other things to see and do at The Rooms - very much an example to other cities as to how to combine municipal services and attractions into a joint thingy that both works and is functional.

St. John's, Canada
Level Contributor
140 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Transatlantic Cruise - Only 9 hrs in this port

Its about a 5 minute walk from where cruise ships dock to Water Street. There are options other than the ship shore excursions offered. Local Tour companies are usually at dockside if its a large ship and do offer city tours. Another option is a private taxi tour which costs about $40-$50 dollars a carload for around 3 hours. They will show you the main sites and anywhere else you want to go.

8. Re: Transatlantic Cruise - Only 9 hrs in this port

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 January 2011, 05:16