We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trip to St. Pierre et Miquelon

Fredericton, Canada
Level Contributor
459 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Day trip to St. Pierre et Miquelon

Hi.

I will be in St. John's for a few days and I know this is pushing it a bit but would anyone know whether there is an early bus from St. John's to Fortune to catch the ferry to St. Pierre or even a day tour I can take.

Unforturnately no car rentals available.

Thank you.

Nancy

Gros Morne National...
Destination Expert
for Newfoundland and Labrador
Level Contributor
1,664 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day trip to St. Pierre et Miquelon

Yes, there are small taxi buses that run from St. John's to Fortune then you can catch the ferry to the islands.

You can call one of the hotels in SPEM and they will tell you which are available.

There are also flights from St. Joh's to SPEM which save you a lot of time. You will enjoy it there.

Fredericton, Canada
Level Contributor
459 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day trip to St. Pierre et Miquelon

Thank you Doggles for your quick response. I am so looking forward to my visit to St. John's and hopefully SPEM if lucky.

Regards

Paris
Level Contributor
5 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day trip to St. Pierre et Miquelon

The plane is definitiveley the best way to get there ! cheaper and faster !!!

Don't stay just for one night, tough, it would be too frustrating.

check the tourism board : www.tourisme-saint-pierre-et-miquelon.com

Edited: 28 July 2010, 12:34
Fredericton, Canada
Level Contributor
459 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day trip to St. Pierre et Miquelon

Thank you for your response. I am waiting to hear from Air St. Pierre whether I can get a flight. Keeping my fingers crossed. N

Paris
Level Contributor
5 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Day trip to St. Pierre et Miquelon

I hope you'll have your plane ticket !!!

And if you want a nice place to stay, try Nuits Saint-PIerre, it is all new. I stayed there w/my husband at the beginning of the month and it was awesome.

have fun !

Newfoundland
Level Contributor
4 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Day trip to St. Pierre et Miquelon

If you plan to stay overnight, which I suggest you do, stay at Nuit St. Pierre. http://nuitssaintpierre.com/en/ It's the best B&B there and much better than the hotel. I also suggest you allow them to take care of your reservations for lunch and supper. You cannot just walk into a resturant usually and expect to be served. Book a few days in advance through your B&B. They are reasonably quick to return emails.

Also, book a tour of the island. There is a bus tour at 11 and 6. Except on Sundays. The boat tour - 1 day to Langlade is interesting...however I only recommend if you're staying for two nights - 3 days.

There is a van tour of St. Pierre is rated the best! Unfortunatly this is only what I have heard from word of mouth. The best resturants by far are L'Atelier Gourmand, Le Feu de Braise and Ongi Etorri.

Most shops close from 12 - 2 for lunch...so best to do as the locals do...go and have a long relaxing lunch and then go for a stroll on the water front and enjoy your day.

Be prepared for wind and fog. I have not been there yet on my 3-4 visites when the sun has not come out at sone point.

Good luck and Enjoy!

St. John's, Canada
Level Contributor
140 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Day trip to St. Pierre et Miquelon

Saint Pierre is too far from St. John's for a day tour. If you are going there I would suggest doing an overnight. Flying on Air St Pierre would be your best option to get there as it would be much quicker than any of the buses. There are a number of taxi services between St. John's and the Burin Peninsula as well.

Fredericton, Canada
Level Contributor
459 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Day trip to St. Pierre et Miquelon

Thank you all for your wonderful info....I have decided that I will try the three day tour from Halifax, if all works out, in September...in the meantime I am going to spend my time enjoying what St. John's and surrounding areas have to offer.

Nancy

9. Re: Day trip to St. Pierre et Miquelon

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 January 2011, 05:17