We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

flights one way St. John's NL to Halifax -- doable?

Which St. John's hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
houston. tx
Level Contributor
161 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
flights one way St. John's NL to Halifax -- doable?

After reading the review below I'm somewhat concerned about our plans to fly to Halifax after St. John's. In comments on the post below -- or new comments.

If we plan a one way flight to Halifax will we get there that day?

Suppose I may be giving the post below too much weight.

HELP?

Thx,

jj

Aug 25, 2010, 7:37 AM

There should be no problem with combining those trips. With Air Canada you will probably be delayed at either or both of those cities anyhow! Make sure to pack extra clothes in your travel-on luggage. No kidding. Go to BOS to YHZ then to YYT a few days later. Halifax is the slowest airport I have ever been in. The security check is very painful. It reminds me of the "Stepford Wives". They just keep doing the same thing over and over again. Looking at luggage, looking at luggage, calling someone else over to look at luggage.....Get there really early. Two great cities though. Check w/ travelocity. They do multiple/split city trips. Also Porter is an up and coming airline, there are a lot of stops with them but they are above and beyond AC and Continental. Leave early from St. John's if you have to be somewhere the next day. Air Canada's 2-2:30pm flight is notorious for delays. They make you leave St. John's BUT you have to stay in Halifax overnight, which probably is something you wouln't mind anyhow. Have a great trip.

Owen Sound, Canada
Level Contributor
628 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: flights one way St. John's NL to Halifax -- doable?

I've traveled St. John's to Halifax several times and never had extraordinary delays. Anything is possible but I wouldn't worry about it.

2. Re: flights one way St. John's NL to Halifax -- doable?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 25 March 2011, 04:46
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
3,158 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: flights one way St. John's NL to Halifax -- doable?

In 2009, we flew from Canada's west coast to Canada's east coast and back again. Our flights were routed Vancouver - Toronto - Halifax - St. John's going east and St. John's - Halifax - Toronto - Vancouver going west. Although we did not disembark the plane in Halifax either going to St. John's or coming back from St. John's, I do not recall any particular delays.

There are two national airlines. Taking August 17, 2011, for example, Westjet is currently showing 2 non-stop flights from St. John's to Halifax and Air Canada is showing 5 non-stop flights.

I cannot speak to the experiences which caused the poster you quote to express his or her concerns. Certainly, anything can happen. However, that is true of any flight.

In the context of the distances we have to fly to get places in Canada, the St. John's to Halifax flight is relatively short.

I would not worry about it. Judging by the numbers of people who did get on/off the flights we were taking, many people do take the flight. The trip is certainly shorter timewise than taking the ferry.

Edit - That was just me in the second post. Somehow an incomplete post got away from me. I think it's time to turn off my computer for the night!

Edited: 25 March 2011, 04:47
houston. tx
Level Contributor
161 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: flights one way St. John's NL to Halifax -- doable?

Thanks so much for the infomation.

5. Re: flights one way St. John's NL to Halifax -- doable?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 October 2012, 18:16