We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary advice with an 7 month old baby

Which St. John's hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto, Ontario
Level Contributor
80 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
Itinerary advice with an 7 month old baby

Hi there,

I am looking to travel to St. John's with my husband and 7 month old baby. I was wondering how many days is suggested for St. John's? Is it easy to get around by public transit? Should we rent a car? What other things do you suggest we see while we are here - looking to travel mid-August to late-August. Thanks.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
1,057 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary advice with an 7 month old baby

I'm not from St. John's and I don't live there but I have visited a few times. While it is possible to get around by public transit,

http://www.metrobus.com/index2_.asp

it will not be anything like you will find in Toronto, Montreal or even Quebec City. During our visits to St. John's we haven't noticed a significant number of buses on the roads (and I'm not talking about during the recent bus strike) but there are some. I'm sure someone who actually lives in St. John's will give you a better or more specific answer.

If you do intend on "trying" to rent a car, do it NOW. Car rentals book up very quickly in Newfoundland and you're not likely to get a car if you don't have one reserved when you arrive.

Scunthorpe, United...
Level Contributor
3,583 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary advice with an 7 month old baby

Check out my reply on your other thread.

Placentia, Canada
Level Contributor
736 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary advice with an 7 month old baby

The mid to late August is our best weather in the summer......sometimes.

The local buses are always running but only in the metro area and if you don't know where to go well you'll be lost.Taxis are ok in the immediate city but toooo expensive to hire to travel outside the town.My opinion is rent a set wheels but book early....like now.

Plenty to see and do....Regatta is next week,folk festival is coming up,George street festival is this week ,Russel Crowe is bound to be there having a few but NOT FOR KIDS :)

But the real spots to see are out of the town.....real Newfoundland.These places I really know!!!!

good luck!!

4. Re: Itinerary advice with an 7 month old baby

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 October 2012, 00:18