We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

compare cape st.marys and witless bay ecological reserve

Which St. John's hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto, Canada
9 posts
1 review
Save Topic
compare cape st.marys and witless bay ecological reserve

Is it worth it to go to cape st. marys and witless bay ecological reserve ?

which would you choose if you could only go to one?

Thank you for your opinion!

Scunthorpe, United...
Level Contributor
3,583 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: compare cape st.marys and witless bay ecological reserve

What time of the year are you planning to visit? How long are you planning on spending in Newfoundland and what else is planned for your itinerary. This information will help us answer your question.

Can I clarify what your expectations are of Witless Bay Ecological Reserve... are you wanting to do a boat trip to one of the islands or are you talking about a whale watching trip.

Toronto, Canada
9 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: compare cape st.marys and witless bay ecological reserve

I am going in late august and am spending four days in the avalon.

On the first i am ariving at 11 :oo and spending time hiking at signal hill and we will walk around the harbour. The next day we want t go to cape st. marys and maybe cupids(you are answering my other question to about cupids and ferryland). Then ferry land and witless bay on a boat trip to an island or kayaking in cape broyle with a guide and then a day at the rooms.

Thanks

Placentia, Canada
Level Contributor
736 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: compare cape st.marys and witless bay ecological reserve

Cape St. Marys is beautiful (I know because I live very close to it) but it is not near cupids or ferryland or really any of the southern shore......it is part of the cape shore(branch,st.brides,ship cove.....)To really enjoy the scenes it'll take a day.......placentia is not too far from the cape either.

Gros Morne National...
Destination Expert
for Newfoundland and Labrador
Level Contributor
1,659 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: compare cape st.marys and witless bay ecological reserve

Witless Bay is closer to St. John's allows for a boat tour and has more species, including whales.

Cape St. Mary's allows for a longer road trip, avoids seasickness, and gets you closer to the birds than Witless Bay.

Owen Sound, Canada
Level Contributor
628 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: compare cape st.marys and witless bay ecological reserve

By late August many of the nesting seabirds will be gone from Witless Bay. Many will also be gone from Cape St. Mary's BUT the Northern Gannet colony for which Cape St. Mary's is famous will still be going strong. If the weather is clear The Cape is an absolutely splendid place.

I love Witless Bay from June through early August, but in late August Cape St. Mary's would be my choice. It is one of my favourite places in Canada.

I suggest you go from St. John's on the Trans Canada, then down through Placentia. The drive from Placentia southward is beautiful, through the fabled "hills of the Cape Shore". Then you can return by going eastward through Branch, then around St. Mary's Bay, and then take one of two or three different routes back to St. John's.

cheers

Jerry

6. Re: compare cape st.marys and witless bay ecological reserve

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 October 2012, 22:17