We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Winterholme Heritage Inn problems

Montreal, QC
Level Contributor
4 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Winterholme Heritage Inn problems

I see from other posts here that I am not the only one who had a terrible time at the Winterholme. It really bothers me that this place is put forth as one of St. John's best B&Bs because the staff are incredibly unfriendly. It's a real shame for visitors to have to be exposed to these people when virtually everyone else in this city (and province) is incredibly kind and friendly. I've traveled all over the world and honestly believe that Newfoundlanders are the most friendly and helpful people I've even met -- with the glaring execption of the staff at the Winterholme. To add insult to injury, their rates are way too high.

I've contacted Newfoundland tourism, the St. John's Chamber of Commerce, various B&B agencies, and even the Better Business Bureau. No one can help me. Anyone have any suggestions on how to warn future visitors?

St. John's...
8 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Winterholme Heritage Inn problems

The Inn is one of the great homes in Canada. The hosts are true delights. The rooms are a fraction of the costs of what closets would be at the Hotels Fairmont or Delta. It is operated as an Inn, not as a homestay. It is the most popular Inn in the City for local residents and they are usually wait lists for people wishing to get a room. The owner (Ruby) personally makes bread each day which I think is sort of a waste of effort myself, but her regular guests love it. Her husband Richard, freely gives of his time to explain to people knocking on their door the history of the property or whatever. Each year the City has an Open Doors day for special private properties or artworks that residents might wish to see. There is no close second in terms of popularity than Winterholme. The owners are lovely warm people and the property is worth admission as a museum tour. When you see two complaints about a business in operation for more than a decade you sort of have to wonder if perhaps it is the complainers who are the wing nuts?? Some people might be better off staying at home.The second twit complaining was on about the hosts not anticipating that her child might like a glass of milk at bedtime. Is that part of the service at the Entre Gold Floor at the Chateau Laurier? What is the room service charge for such a service ? $50 plus tip or the equivalent of 30% of the Inn's nightly charge? Get a life.Leonard

Montreal, QC
Level Contributor
4 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Winterholme Heritage Inn problems

I hardly think I'm crazy to ask for a room that does not smell or to expect the innkeepers to take my problems seriously.

I travel extensively for a living and have never made an online complaint about any sort of accommodation until now. In the rare event that I have had problems, a quick call to the front desk or innkeeper either solves it or at least elicits an apology for an unsolvable problem. I've never been treated as badly as I was at this B&B.

St. John's, NL
1 post
Save Reply
3. Re: Winterholme Heritage Inn problems

First of all I would like to say that it is unfortunate that there is not a way to investigate complaints before they get published on the "tripadvisor" site as such comments can be bordering on being slanderous. If the owner's comments were available at the same time the actual situation would be much more factual for your readers information.

Valid explainations are available for all of these negative comments as it is not unusual to have operational and building problems in a historic property that will be 100 years old this coming year.

There was also one very positive comment and I could very easily solicit many more from the over 30,000 guests we have had in our 11 years of operation.

It has been our experience during these past 11 years, that angry and unhappy people are very difficult to satisify no matter what you try and do for them, and yes once we detect this impass we do assist them in finding an alternate place to stay, otherwise they only serve to upset other guests.

I sincerely invite your readers to have a look at our facility, either come in, or through our web-site at www.winterholme.com before they accept the opinions of such people.

Kindest regards.

Richard Cook

Owner of Winterholme Heritage Inn

Edmonton
4 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Winterholme Heritage Inn problems

I am very sorry that TripAdvisor has become a site where people can complain openly without having to justify their comments!

TripAdvisor advertises unbiased reviews. But I have to disagree, with all the negative comments I have viewed on this site. It seems to me that happy people don't go to the net looking for a site to place negative reviews/comments about their accommodations. They usually write nice comments in the guest book, let the innkeeper know what a nice time they have had and that's it! Unhappy people write nothing in the guest book than look for places to complain to e.g. TripAdvisor.

B&B's are NOT hotels. If travelers are looking for Hotel service then I feel they should NOT be staying at B&B's. Every B&B is different (e.g. breakfasts, rules/policies, hosts, etc.) and this is why most of us B&B users only stay at B&B's and not a hotel.

Here is a link of B&B Etiquette. For first time B&B'er or those who don't understand what exactly a B&B is please view these policies/rules.

http://www.inndirectory.com/behave.html

www.westernup.com/regalinn/etiquette.html

To the TripAdvisor users who are like to complain. It is YOUR responsibility to do your research for booking a B&B. Because you haven���t done your homework, it is really unfair that you post such hurtful comments on the web!!!!

Edmonton
4 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Winterholme Heritage Inn problems

I am very sorry that TripAdvisor has become a site where people can complain openly without having to justify their comments!

TripAdvisor advertises unbiased reviews. But I have to disagree, with all the negative comments I have viewed on this site. It seems to me that happy people don't go to the net looking for a site to place negative reviews/comments about their accommodations. They usually write nice comments in the guest book, let the innkeeper know what a nice time they have had and that's it! Unhappy people write nothing in the guest book than look for places to complain to e.g. TripAdvisor.

B&B's are NOT hotels. If travelers are looking for Hotel service then I feel they should NOT be staying at B&B's. Every B&B is different (e.g. breakfasts, rules/policies, hosts, etc.) and this is why most of us B&B users only stay at B&B's and not a hotel.

Here is a link of B&B Etiquette. For first time B&B'er or those who don't understand what exactly a B&B is please view these policies/rules.

http://www.inndirectory.com/behave.html

www.westernup.com/regalinn/etiquette.html

To the TripAdvisor users who are like to complain. It is YOUR responsibility to do your research for booking a B&B. Because you haven���t done your homework, it is really unfair that you post such hurtful comments on the web!!!!

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
3 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Winterholme Heritage Inn problems

Everyone has a right to their opinions. The Inn, I am sure has its positive points. Often, unhappy people are unhappy wherever they are staying.

The Inn keepers need to read the concerns, check them out to see if their employees were rude, and deal with the problem.

I do hope it was not the owners who were so unkind.

In all of the years that I have traveled to NFLD...the only rude people I have met were other tourists...not Newfoundlanders!

NFLD

Montreal, QC
Level Contributor
4 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Winterholme Heritage Inn problems

I travel for a living -- as a travel and medical writer. I've stayed at dozens of B&Bs and know all about B&B etiquette. When I really like a place, I say so, both to the owner and on the Internet. I have several positive comments for other locations right here on Trip Advisor, in fact. I rely on places like the Internet to find out if a place is going to be nice, and I take seriously the fact that others do too.

I complain only for cause, and thus I almost never complain. However, this case at the Winterholme was one of the worst experiences I've ever had at a B&B and, yes, is WAS the owners who were rude. I find it very odd that they seem to have branded me a 'complainer' and therefore didn't even bother to TRY to help me, since all I did was politely explain over the phone that I was having trouble with a smelly room. They cleaned it after I checked out -- why couldn't they clean it before I left? They obviously knew it was an ongoing problem, since others have complained about the same thing. They certainly DID NOT help me find other accommodation. I was on the phone all afternoon doing that myself.

Newfoundland
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Winterholme Heritage Inn problems

Allison,

You claim to be an experienced traveller yet the Winter Holme is the "worst" place you have ever stayed? WOW! You have no idea how bad hotels and B&B can get. Check out the reviews of B&B and hotels in TX, CA and NY...then you will see what a "horrible" experience actually is!

Mike

St. John's, Canada
Level Contributor
16 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Winterholme Heritage Inn problems

It has been almost 2 yeary since i have stayed at the winterholme.

I have to say first that i am from st john's and when i brought my

girlfriend there to celabrate our 1 year together.

I will just say this it was the most romantic night i have ever had.

the old B&B was very beautiful and i had stayed in the best room

that they had, I do not remember the name of the room

but i will never foget it and i will be going back every year from now on i have not been there i the past 2 years because i was away

for our anniversary, but if she had seen some of these comments

she would say that these people will complain about everything.

they are just complainers and very sad inside take a pill.

All i have to say now is for the people who own it keep up the good work and if there is a problem with your staff then you will know

because you treated us with care and respect and for that i thank you and i will see you at the end of october.

good luck and many thanks i have and always will recommend it

great home you have we enjoyed it ,and you guys too.

Dave Mercer

PS I HOPE PEOPLE WILL TRY IT YOU WILL NOT BE SORRY

TELL THEM YOU HEARD GOOD THINGS ABOUT IT

I WOULD THINK YOU WILL LOVE IT TO.

Canada
Level Contributor
488 posts
252 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Winterholme Heritage Inn problems

I don't understand the vitriol in this discussion topic. The reason most of us come to Tripadvisor.com is to hear what other people have to say about properties that we're thinking of staying at. Thanks to the advice I've gotten here, we've stayed at some amazing properties over the last couple of years. And contrary to what a previous reviewer said, I've only posted positive hotel feedback on this site (probably because earlier posters have warned me away from properties I wouldn't have liked!).

It's interesting that this property had 4 consecutive 1-star ratings followed by 4 consecutive 5-star ratings. In fact, the contents of a review are often more important than the star rating, and I think most of us can tell whether the poster is a "complainer" or posting legitimate problems. I think we can also tell when it's a "friend" of the property who posts a rebuff.

If you disagree with someone's opinion, say so and give your reasons. Let's leave the personal attacks out of these reviews.