We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Woody Point or Norris Point?

mission, bc
Level Contributor
76 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
Woody Point or Norris Point?

Trying to decide over our last night stay in NL in either Woody Point or Norris Point for our 12th and final night of extensive driving trip. Norris Point provides less driving in our last 24 hours (coming from L'ans Aux Meadows) as we head into our last stop before heading home out of Deer lake airport the following day (= 1.5 hours less driving time arriving in Norris from LAM and departing to Deer lake airport versus Woody Point). I'm thinking we'll want to eat out that last evening, enjoy a last night view and be able to depart knowing we capitalized on NL. Other than a decent night out for dinner, we won't be looking for activities on that final driving day or morning of departure. Looking for some perspective between the two spots. Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Signal Hill
Historic Sites, Historic Walking Areas, Military Bases & Facilities, Points of Interest & Landmarks
Gros Morne National...
Level Contributor
571 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Woody Point or Norris Point?

My suggestion is Norris Point. This comes from someone who loves the south side. Driving down from LAM you will not have time to enjoy even a little bit of all that the Woody Point area has to offer, so I suggest shorten the drive. Stay in Norris Point. If you want to splurge on supper I suggest Neddie's Harbour Inn. Save Woody Point for another trip and plan to spend several days there. One last thought, depending on when your last day is and what time your flight leaves from Deer Lake, taking the water taxi over to Woody Point and just walking about town may be an option.

Toronto, Ontario
Level Contributor
919 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Woody Point or Norris Point?

Agree that Norris point makes more sense for a lot of reasons, especially that it has the best restaurant that we ate at in our just completed 3 week trip--Justin Thyme. It just opened this year and so is not too well known, but it will be--it is fabulous. It would be a perfect way to top off your trip!

New England
Destination Expert
for Ogunquit
Level Contributor
2,269 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Woody Point or Norris Point?

We debated this as well when planning our trip in July. I havent seen your itinerary but if you are staying any length of time in the Gros Morne area and then heading to Lanse aux Meadows, I suggest Woody Point or for the extra 20 minute ride, Trout River.

In July we spent 3 nights in Rocky Harbour, 2 nights in Lanse Aux meadows and drove to Woody Point for the last night before heading to Twillingate. i was glad that we stayed at Woody Point so that we could see the Tablelands but when we took a drive to Trout River I was really kind of disappointed that we didnt stay there instead. Just beautiful!

BUT..that said, if you are doing the Tablelands before Lanse aux Meadows, stay in Norris Point.

Edited: 01 September 2013, 16:49
mission, bc
Level Contributor
76 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Woody Point or Norris Point?

Thank you for this; yes, we are staying 2 nights in Gros Morne before LAM so will have had time to explore and enjoy the area. Norris Point is gaining favour! Thanks again!

5. Re: Woody Point or Norris Point?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 September 2014, 07:21