We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fishing

Ottawa, Canada
4 posts
Save Topic
Fishing

Hi there, 3 of us will be staying in St. John's in late August, and we are eager to try our luck fly fishing for salmon. I am having a hard time finding anything online (guides/charters for fly fishing). Does anyone have any recommendations? Or even if you've had a great experience cod fishing, we'd love to hear about that too! The less "commercialized", the better...

Thank you!

Kristin

Gros Morne National...
Destination Expert
for Gros Morne National Park
Level Contributor
699 posts
442 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fishing

Newfoundland tourism offers a fishing guide that might be of help it should list all guides in the area. I'am not sure of salmon fishing on the east coast more in central and western.

Fredericton, Canada
Destination Expert
for Fredericton, St. John's
Level Contributor
1,886 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fishing

Definitely more of a West Coast thing. There are a few streams and rivers on the East Coast but nothing worth noting.

Good site with lots of info:

newfoundlandlabrador.com/thingstodo/angling

Ottawa, Canada
4 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Fishing

Thank you!

Ottawa, Canada
4 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Fishing

Thank you!

Gander NL
Level Contributor
997 posts
188 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Fishing

There are lots of outfitters in Central NL. Google fishing Gander River and Exploits River. Also check out the Newfoundland Sportsman show and I'm sure they have a site. Might also be an outfitter's association.

www.centralnloutfitters.ca/salmon-fishing.htm

http://www.ganderriver.com/

This commercial site might have some contact info or could be contacted to ask questions.

http://www.opfishhunt.com/

West coast would be Humber River.

Ottawa, Canada
4 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Fishing

Thank you very much LazydaysGanderNL, I will check these out.

Gander NL
Level Contributor
997 posts
188 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Fishing

You're welcome. Gander River has it's own unique style of boat and outfitting is a major industry than many are not even aware of. Guiding and cooking in camps is a seasonal job for many people. Salmon, moose, caribou and bear seasons have people come from all over the world. It seems well managed and has a good reputation. Many hunters complaining of gaining weight in camp. :)

8. Re: Fishing

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 March 2015, 06:35