We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Selling a car in St Johns

Which St. John's hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Frankfurt, Germany
Level Contributor
305 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Selling a car in St Johns

Hi, quick q: Is it easy to sell a used car in St johns? I'm asking because I want to drive there coming from New York but instead of driving the same way back or using the very long way via Labrador, I want to take a flight to Montreal instead to continue my journey there.

Or do you have any other idea on how to do that? Was thinking of doing a complete roadtrip all the way to chicago and back to NY but it is a LOT of miles and will take too much time unfortunately, so I think flying would be better out of St Johns...

Thanks,

Chris

Frankfurt, Germany
Level Contributor
305 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Selling a car in St Johns

I know the answer to this now so it can be closed :)

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Algonquin Provincial Park
Level Contributor
3,923 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Selling a car in St Johns

I don't know the details myself, but I'm sure someone more knowledgeable than me will tell you that importing a car from the US to Canada and selling it there is more trouble than you would want to deal with on a vacation.

I'm responding only to point out that to get to Montreal by car from St. John's, you needn't take the "very long way via Labrador". For some strange reason, that is the only route Google Maps seems to want to generate, but it is not the shortest one.

As you've figured out I'm sure, the ferries from Nova Scotia to Newfoundland sail from North Syndey. If you use North Sydney as your destination between NY and Montreal, you'll see the more reasonable route: http://goo.gl/maps/b7HIO . A slight variation on the route to see a different coast line would be this one , http://goo.gl/maps/usKVA .

From North Sydney there are ferries both to Port aux Basques and St. John's, the western and eastern ends of Newfoundland, respectively, so you can sail to one and back from the other so as to only drive across the island once. Then the only backtracking you would have to do by car would be across Nova Scotia, and you could get from Sydney to Montreal in a couple of days of driving.

Frankfurt, Germany
Level Contributor
305 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Selling a car in St Johns

Ah ok cool thanks - so if we can take the ferry back then I might be able to find someone to join me with a car from the states so there would be no need to sell it in canada :)

Gros Morne National...
Level Contributor
468 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Selling a car in St Johns

if the car is registered in the States, I think it may be complicated in that you may have to pay "duty" on the value of the car. Last summer a friend brought a car in from the States and it took all summer and a fair amount of money to register it in Newfoundland. The drive from New York to North Sydney is rather sticky until you get to Maine... and then it is a pleasure. It may be simpler if you fly into Fredericton & buy a car and then sell in St. John's or even fly all the way to St. John's and buy a car there to sell in Montreal. Someone once told me they took the train from Nova Scotia to Montreal, so maybe that could be another option.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
15,154 posts
766 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Selling a car in St Johns

Then there is the conversion kit needed to bring it to Canadian laws (speedometer has to read in km/h for instance)....if it is a beater, you could scrap it maybe....

Frankfurt, Germany
Level Contributor
305 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Selling a car in St Johns

Thanks guys! I will not buy a car anymore and this is what Im thinking currently:

Google maps tricked me there with the ferry :) Also, of course i meant Toronto + Niagara Falls instead of Detroit.

After thinking this a bit through and checking some more flights, I actually came up with another plan since i found some really good flights which would result in the fact that I'd skip the States completely.

What do you think about this?

- Fly in from Dublin directly to St John's for $509 / £306 (good price I think!)

- Hike parts of the East Coast Trail (Any tips welcome, I will bring my hiking boots but not my tent - which parts could I do?)

- Take the Bus to Gros Morne National Park (how would i get in to the park from Deer Lake without a rented car or would you advise to rent a car and return it in Port aux Basques?)

- Take the ferry to Sdyney

- Now at this stage I would have 2 options:

A) rely on either people from this forum or Couchsurfers and hopefully find someone with a car from Sydney or Halifax who would be interested in a Trip to Montreal via Gaspé, possible hike in the Chic-Choc Mountains (although I heard it might not be THAT nice there? what do you think?) and then drive in to Quebec along the coast (How is that part in the car?) One thing I would really like to see on the way is Perce Rock.

B) I fly from Halifax to Quebec/Montreal (Seems like all flights to Quebec stop in Montreal)

- I really want to see Queubec and Chateau Frontenac.

- Fly into Cancun from Montreal for just $188 / £113 direct. So I might end up having to drive the from Montreal to Quebec back and forth because Montreal seems to be the main Airline hub.

With this plan I would just check out the states, Toronto and Niagara Falls in another Vacation.

What do you think? This should be feasible in 3-4 weeks I would say and I would not have any packtracking. Depending on if I will find someone with a car or not, it might be a bit expensive to fly from Halifax to Montreal but on the other side, the gasoline in Canada is much more expensive than in the states I guess so driving might not even be much cheaper. I would make it depended on what and how much I could see on the road after your feedback.

Thanks a lot!!

Cheers

Chris

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Algonquin Provincial Park
Level Contributor
3,923 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Selling a car in St Johns

As a general rule in Canada, if you don't have a car it's difficult to enjoy natural/wilderness areas such as national parks. I would highly recommend having a rental car in Gros Morne, as the hiking trails and other attractions are spread over a large area. Your only other option for getting around within the park would be hitchhiking, which is of course not a reliable way to get around on a timeline.

As mountains, the Chic Chocs are not impressive compared to Western Canada ranges like the Rockies, but they're still beautiful and there are some great hikes up to their tundra plateaus within Parc de la Gaspesie. Note that neither that nor Percé is exactly on your way, but they could make a worthwhile detour, together with Forillon National Park.

If you want to find a ride with someone who's on a road trip, I doubt you'll find anything like that here on TA, but you could try the Craigslist rideshare page for the place you're departing from. This can be a good way to get rides between major cities, but probably not a good way to get on a road trip that will be visiting parks and other attractions.

Now that you're talking about destinations within Quebec (Montreal, Quebec City, Gaspésie, Percé, etc), you should ask on a new thread in the Quebec forum. No reason the local experts from Quebec would be reading a thread in the St. John's forum.

Gander NL
Level Contributor
931 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Selling a car in St Johns

Yes you'll need a car in Gros Morne. Might actually be cheaper to drive a rental from St. John's. This would enable you to access various departure points for your hikes too.

Excellent price on your flight from Dublin, well done on that one.

Check into drop off fees for the car and book them early as they are hard to get here due to everyone needing them during the same two months.

Look for unlimited mileage.

St. John's, Canada
Level Contributor
94 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Selling a car in St Johns

East Coast Trail - so many great sections of the East Coast Trail. If you are in St. John's/area without a car, there are some sections within walking distance or you could get a cab to drop off and pick up. The East Coast Trail website (linked below) will give you information on trail difficulty, length, and approx. times it will take to do the trail. Keep in mind most of the trails are linear, so you have to take into account the time to hike back the trail, walk the road way, or arrange for pick up at the other end of the trail :)

The North Head Trail around Signal Hill is great and is in the downtown area so you can walk to and from the trail start and end back into the downtown core very easily: newfoundlandlabrador.com/planyourtrip/Detail…

Blackhead Path -Blackhead to Cape Spear: a nice easy hike with great coastal views, good views of Cape Spear National Historic Site (lighthouse & most easterly point in North America). About a 20 minute drive outside St. John's: http://eastcoasttrail.ca/trail/view.php?id=2

Sugar Loaf Path - Logy Bay to Quidi Vidi Village: http://eastcoasttrail.ca/trail/view.php?id=20

If you want to rent a car while in St. John's, you can also drive south along the Irish Loop to many of the other East Coast Trail Heads for some more great trails, whale watching, sea kayaking, etc: eastcoasttrail.ca/trail/trail_detail.php

newfoundlandlabrador.com/ThingsToDo/Kayaking

newfoundlandlabrador.com/ThingsToDo/WhaleWat…

Transportation from Deer Lake to Gros Morne:

To really see the Park it would be good to have a car, so look into renting in Deer Lake and drive up into the park. More great hiking, and towns like Rocky Habour and Woody Point are beautiful. Bon Tours also offers a boat tour inside the Western Brook Pond fjiord. Drop off fees can be costly if you were looking to pick up in Deer Lake and Drop off in Port-aux-Basques, so if you want to avoid that you can look at returning the car in Deer Lake after seeing Gros Morne, and taking the DRL Bus from Deer Lake to PAB: http://www.drl-lr.com/ Not the fastest transportation option, but it will get you where you need to go!

Frankfurt, Germany
Level Contributor
305 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Selling a car in St Johns

Wow this is great information! Thanks a lot :)

So i will get a car in St John's and do lots of smaller hikes instead of hiking it all. I cant bring my outdoor gear anyway except for my hiking boots so this looks like a good plan.

How much time would you spend along the east coast trail?