We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Newfoundland with no car

Toronto, Canada
5 posts
Save Topic
Newfoundland with no car

Hi! I am planning a 9-day trip to NL, in early Sept, and I don't drive. I'll be flying into St John's.

My question is: other than spending a few days checking out all the nearby tourist spots that St John's transit can get me to, how would you suggest I get to see more of the island?

Know any good tour company's for day trips? My budget is little. ($80 a day)

I am interested mostly in animal spotting (if I could see a moose I would die happy), pretty vistas to gaze at while I picnic, (light) hikes, maybe see a deserted seaside village.

Any advice about getting around NL without a car would be appreciated!

Also any suggestions for vegetarian restaurants (no fish) would be nice.

Thanks,

Nat

Signal Hill
Historic Sites, Historic Walking Areas, Military Bases & Facilities, Points of Interest & Landmarks
St. John's, Canada
Destination Expert
for Newfoundland and Labrador
Level Contributor
4,134 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Newfoundland with no car

McCarthy's Party offers day trips out of St. John's, but I am not aware of their prices. They might be beyond your budget, but you could contact them. Here are their day trips

www.mccarthysparty.com/daytours.php…

Also Legend Tours might offer what you want.

http://www.legendtours.ca/

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
15,181 posts
784 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Newfoundland with no car

Traversing the Rock without a car is pretty tough in general, moreso in off season...be prepared for limited options..

St. John's, Canada
Destination Expert
for Newfoundland and Labrador
Level Contributor
4,134 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Newfoundland with no car

DRL Coachline is the only bus service across the island. It will stop in major communities along the main highway.

http://www.drl-lr.com/

Edited: 08 July 2014, 17:56
Gander NL
Level Contributor
1,089 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Newfoundland with no car

The Sprout for food. Public transport between communities is limited.

Toronto, Canada
5 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Newfoundland with no car

Thanks guys!

Janidd. -- I emailed McCarthy for prices (so we'll see,) and those Legend ones sound amazing for seeing St John!

Td -- I know it will be limited, but I am stubborn and there is just no arguing with myself. I want to go!

Mentioned in this post
St. John
St. John
U.S. Virgin Islands
Gander NL
Level Contributor
1,089 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Newfoundland with no car

This string might be helpful. tripadvisor.ca/ShowTopic-g154964-i755-k76113…

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
1,059 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Newfoundland with no car

You're going to be very limited without a rental car and outside of major centers (St. John's, perhaps Corner Brook and a few others) you will find that you will be limited for vegetarian food choices.

Mentioned in this post
Corner Brook
Corner Brook
Newfoundland, Canada
SE Ontario
Level Contributor
22,830 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Newfoundland with no car

You can see moose in Algonquin Park ... so don't worry if you miss them in NFLD.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
360 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Newfoundland with no car

Moose are not unique to Newfoundland, and indeed there are many good spots to see them in Ontario. But whales (and puffins! those birds are so cute!) are a different matter, and although the timing (early September) is not the best, I'd call up whale watching tours in Witless bay and see if a boat tour would make sense. It was one of the highlights of my trip, more so than seeing the moose.

Mentioned in this post
Newfoundland
Newfoundland
Newfoundland and Labrador, Canada
Ontario
Ontario
Canada
Newfoundland
Level Contributor
2 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Newfoundland with no car

the only way to guarantee seeing a moose in NL would likely be to travel to salmonier nature park, its located about 40 mins outside st. john's. im sure a local tour company would include. dont know a whole lot about specific tour companies, but legend tour company has been on the go for 10+ years, the owner used to live across the street from me and was a really friendly man, might be worth looking into. if you were to do a day tour im sure they could easily hook you up with many scenic locations outside the city that are great for picincs (weather pending).

the east coast trial will help satisfy any hiking needs you have and it starts in st. john's (fort amerst), which is located on side of harbour opposite downtown. signal hill also has a beautiful trail that brings you around a cliff side next to the ocean. east coast trail and signal hill also have many senci areas for picnics if you are unable to leave city.

Get answers to your questions about St. John's
Recent Conversations