We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

St. John's - Wine, Cheese, and Charcuterie

OTTAWA
Level Contributor
81 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
St. John's - Wine, Cheese, and Charcuterie

Hi,

I'll be visiting St. John's in a few weeks and am looking for a nice place to share nice wine, cheese, and charcuterie with my small groups. Any recommendations would be appreciated. Thanks!

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
1,057 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: St. John's - Wine, Cheese, and Charcuterie

OK, I had to look this up and I'm pretty sure many others on here haven't a clue about what charcuterie is. The spell check doesn't even recognize the word - charcuterie!

Charcuterie (/ʃɑrˌkuːtəˈriː/ or /ʃɑrˈkuːtəri/; northern French: [ʃaʁkytˈʁi] or southern French: [ʃaʁkytəˈʁi], from chair 'flesh' and cuit 'cooked') is the branch of cooking devoted to prepared meat products, such as bacon, ham, sausage, terrines, galantines, pâtés, and confit, primarily from pork.[1] Charcuterie is part of the garde manger chef's repertoire. Originally intended as a way to preserve meat before the advent of refrigeration, they are prepared today for their flavors derived from the preservation processes

Couldn't you just say wine, cheese, and pig meat?

Anyway, enjoy your trip. Since you are in to meats try to find some moose meat while you're in NL.

SE Ontario
Level Contributor
18,153 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: St. John's - Wine, Cheese, and Charcuterie

Try Chinched... they have a charcuterie plate.

http://www.chinchedbistro.com/

You might also have more luck posting or investigating on chowhound.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
15,154 posts
767 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: St. John's - Wine, Cheese, and Charcuterie

Chinched is awesome, definitely worth a visit!

Penticton, Canada
Level Contributor
13,353 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: St. John's - Wine, Cheese, and Charcuterie

hi

for charcuterie I would use "cold plate". the OP should look at getting cod tongue when in Nfld instead of something that is not from the rock. (-:

he would be better off going to St Pierre et Miquelon if he wanted the combination of wine, cheese and charcuterie.

SE Ontario
Level Contributor
18,153 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: St. John's - Wine, Cheese, and Charcuterie

"Cold plate" suggests cottage cheese and lettuce to me...

I'm pretty sure most of the good folks in St. John's know what charcuterie is.

St. John's, Canada
Level Contributor
94 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: St. John's - Wine, Cheese, and Charcuterie

Chinched Bistro is the place to go for charcuterie! You will also find it on the menu at other restaurants like Gypsy Tea Room, Legros & Motti, Blue on Water, etc.

Gander NL
Level Contributor
982 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: St. John's - Wine, Cheese, and Charcuterie

Charcuterie is the speciality at Chinched. they do a great selection and have excellent cheeses too. They also do it with moose as well as pork and make their homemade crackers and mustards. Contact them now to not be disappointed.

OTTAWA
Level Contributor
81 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: St. John's - Wine, Cheese, and Charcuterie

Sounds great! Thank you!

oakville, ON
Destination Expert
for Oakville
Level Contributor
5,158 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: St. John's - Wine, Cheese, and Charcuterie

i had it at Chinched this past week... very good. Also had it at Piatta and i saw it on the menu at Tavolo (sp) next door to Erin's Pub on water street

Gros Morne National...
Destination Expert
for Newfoundland and Labrador
Level Contributor
1,664 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: St. John's - Wine, Cheese, and Charcuterie

Everyone has beaten me to it! :)

I am a big fan of charcuterie and Chinched has some of the best I have had anywhere in the world.

LeGross and Mottley's charcuterie was disgusting- rolled processed meat from the supermarket is not charcuterie.