We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lobster & Crab

Which St. John's hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Gardendale, Alabama
Level Contributor
17 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Lobster & Crab

I've travelled in New England, Nova Scotia, and this being my first trip to Newfoundland. I am a big seafood fan (steamed or boiled, not fried), and on previous trips always found great places to enjoy shellfish (lobster, crab, clams, oysters, muscles, etc). In my first few days in and around St. John's I haven't found what I'm looking for.

Would like your recommendations on where I can find places to enjoy great seafood. I am staying in a hotel, and don't have means to cook myself.

This is an example of what I've found in the past trips. Is there anything like this in NL?

tripadvisor.ca/Restaurant_Review-g40926-d523…

Gander NL
Level Contributor
947 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lobster & Crab

Chinched had a great mussel dish when we were there last time. Crab legs at Shamrock City Pub. We were in Bonavista this week where the restaurant advertised lobster dinners outside and we heard the waitress twice say "we have to ship them in so that's why they are so expense" when it said "local lobster" on the tank.

Best place we've found for lobster is Samsone's Lobster Pool in Hillgrade, near Twillingate. There is also Treats by the Sea near Lewisporte who have lobster and mussels and picnic tables. Curious to see if others know a spot in town.

Gros Morne National...
Level Contributor
477 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lobster & Crab

This is not a suggestion for a place to go, but an explanation of what you are finding. Lobster season ended the beginning of July. It may be your best bet for finding lobster is a smaller town with an active fishing community as some pen them under their wharves but my understanding is that those are sold more locally. Here in our small town the "penned" supply is just about gone. As for crab, that season ended the end of July. I know it is still available on the west coast, but unfortunately can't speak for the east coast.

St. John's, Canada
Level Contributor
140 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lobster & Crab

I suggest Saltwater in St. John's. Great restaurant specializing in seafood. Chafe's Landing in Petty Harbour also has a nice selection of dishes.

Unlike New England where they can fish for lobster all year long, Newfoundland has a defined season which is now over. I had lobster a few times back in June at local lobster suppers. But there are lots of other types of seafood you can enjoy. There is probably fresh cod around as the food fishery just ended.

Gander NL
Level Contributor
947 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lobster & Crab

Mussel festival in St. Lunaire but that's a long drive from Town. Mussels will be the only shell fish plentiful.

5. Re: Lobster & Crab

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 August 2015, 05:17