We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where is the old in Canada's oldest city?

Which St. John's hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Canada
4 posts
Save Topic
Where is the old in Canada's oldest city?

I'm visiting St. John's in 3 weeks (september 22 to 28) and really excited to visit one of the oldest cities in North America but so far my research online via yelp, tripadvisor and google to turn up any establishments that are old has proved futile.

Some of the pubs seem pretty old, like the Duke of Duckworth, but they all look pretty heavily reno'd.

I realize St. John's is a contemporary, modern city but there has to be a few places that still operate that forgot about time? That, when you step into them, it feels like their is no other place on earth like it?

Of course, I know there's Signal Hill and the historic sites (feel free to comment on those too), of course I'll be visiting those. But when it's time to eat and drink, or sleep, the last thing I want to do is go to a place like Raymond's or Saltwater or sleep at a Hampton in (barf). I'm sure the food is great at the places I've mentioned and the experience very elegant, but it's not old and I've been there done that to death.

So my question is, where is the OLD? What are the oldest establishments in St. John's or the city's surrounding it?

Thanks!

Edited: 28 August 2014, 22:41
Penticton, Canada
Level Contributor
12,490 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where is the old in Canada's oldest city?

this might explain where the really old went -

1708 – The town was captured and burned by the French, and reoccupied by the British in 1709.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Fire_of_1892

SE Ontario
Level Contributor
17,081 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where is the old in Canada's oldest city?

Sleep ... usually B&B's are best bet for historic.

bbcanada.com/newfoundland/…27s

Not old old ... but 20th century/WWII old & interesting - Crow's Nest Pub and i's Storytelling circle:

http://www.storytellingstjohns.ca/circle.html

Canada
4 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Where is the old in Canada's oldest city?

Thanks for your response, cbaarch! I should clarify my expectations a bit when it comes to "old" as it's pretty subjective. Although I would love to go back as far as possible. I'm just looking for places that haven't suffered bad renovations or are not trying to be contemporary, or a franchise.

For example: If I were going to Montreal, I would suggest Schwartz's Montreal deli. It's not 1800's old, but it's been around "forever" and hasn't changed much. That's what I'm looking for.

The closes thing I could find to what I'm describing is that Murray Residence hotel. But once you get inside, it's interior doesn't really match it's exterior.

Just saw your response @phpr, thanks! Thats very helpful!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
15,154 posts
766 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where is the old in Canada's oldest city?

Saint John, NB is Canada's oldest city.... Is there chance you are getting these two mixed up?

Canada
4 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Where is the old in Canada's oldest city?

Oh? maybe, but I'm only as smart as Wikipedia:

"St. John's was incorporated as a city in 1921, yet is considered by some to be the oldest English-founded city in North America"

Old Montreal
Level Contributor
5,722 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where is the old in Canada's oldest city?

I thought Québec City was the oldest city and tadoussac the oldest continuously inhabited settlement in canada.

Canada
4 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Where is the old in Canada's oldest city?

Who cares what's the oldest, let's stay in topic here people.

Let me restate the task here: looking for the oldest establishments in St. John's. I don't care where the oldest city is. St. John's is old. I'm sure we can all agree on that.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
1,057 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where is the old in Canada's oldest city?

One of the oldest establishments, from looking at it at least, is HMP. Her Majesty's Penitentiary is a place that you may not get to visit though, then again...

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
15,154 posts
766 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where is the old in Canada's oldest city?

Oldest incorporated city is Saint John....a settlement is different, really a matter of bureaucratic distinction...

oakville, ON
Destination Expert
for Oakville
Level Contributor
5,073 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Where is the old in Canada's oldest city?

You could go to Mallard Cottage in Quidi Vidi Village ( the Village itself is OLD)... Mallard Cottage is the oldest wooden structure in North AMerica, and quite a fantastic little restaurant.