We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gas and Motels

Millbrook, Canada
Level Contributor
8 posts
98 reviews
Save Topic
Gas and Motels

A friend and I will be riding our motorcycles to Yellowknife. My gas tank is small (14 l) and can go slightly over 250 km / tank. I need to know where all the gas stations are north of High Level. I presume that I will require an extra container of gas. (?)

What are the motels like on that stretch of road ? I just need clean, not up-scale.

Thanks for your help. Steve

Mentioned in this post
Yellowknife
Yellowknife
Northwest Territories, Canada
Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
20,679 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Gas and Motels

Hi Steve, and welcome to the TripAdvisor forums!

You can probably find out everything you need using this map: http://goo.gl/maps/ZgCXH Zoom in along the route to close enough so that towns show up on the map; you can zoom in further on them and often local businesses - gas stations and motels - will be labelled. Otherwise, you can google up their official tourism site, which usually includes listings of local services; if you need further information, there is always an email address of a phone number that you can use to contact them.

To find out intermediate distances, the "directions" feature on the left side of the page will be helpful.

Edited: 09 February 2013, 18:09
Edmonton, Canada
Destination Expert
for Edmonton, Yellowknife
Level Contributor
1,367 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Gas and Motels

Hi Steve! Hope you enjoy the trip!

2 hours north of High Level is Indian cabins, where you can gas up.

Followed by Enterprise, and if you want to stop for a break or a night. It's off the highway but you can find a hotel there and a place to eat.

After Hay River, you can stop at Fort Providence before the new bridge.

The longest stretch here will be 3 hours to Rae, or now called Behchoko, where you can gas up.

Hope this helps!

Mentioned in this post
Enterprise
Enterprise
Fort Providence
Fort Providence
Behchoko
Behchoko
Edmonton, Canada
Destination Expert
for Edmonton, Yellowknife
Level Contributor
1,367 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Gas and Motels

"Followed by Enterprise, and if you want to stop for a break or a night. It's off the highway but you can find a hotel there and a place to eat. "

I meant to add in, after Enterprise is Hay River, which is where you can find a hotel and a place to eat.

Mentioned in this post
Enterprise
Enterprise
Hay River
Hay River
Yellowknife, Canada
Level Contributor
101 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Gas and Motels

Re "... Fort Providence before the new bridge...." Fort Providence is actually after the new bridge... best idea is to bring a jerry can of extra gas...

Also... Between Behchoko and Yellowknife the road is quite "wavy" (not flat) so take great care in paying attention to the bump signs... and even where there are none... as a motorcyclist myself ... I know those "waves" can easily throw a rider off balance to say the least...

Edited: 18 February 2013, 02:48
Mentioned in this post
Fort Providence
Fort Providence
Yellowknife
Yellowknife
5. Re: Gas and Motels

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 March 2014, 19:37
Get answers to your questions about Northwest Territories