We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advise - driving alone from Fairbanks to Inuvik - end of Jun

Palo Alto...
Level Contributor
626 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
Advise - driving alone from Fairbanks to Inuvik - end of Jun

Hello All

Initially, there're three other guys planning to drive from Seattle to Inuvik at the end of June but they all dropped off giving different excuses ;-) I still want to do this trip and instead of driving from Seattle, I am thinking of driving either from Fairbanks or from WhiteHorse (getting cheaper tickets and less expensive rental cars from Fairbanks). My only concern is SAFETY. Is it advisable to do the trip alone and I am planning to camp along the way for sleep.

Since it is 27hr drive max., I could do it in 3+3 day roundtrip.

Will there be any traffic in the Dempsters Hwy, in case if I need of any help ! Please advise.

thank you

Edmonton, Canada
Destination Expert
for Edmonton, Yellowknife
Level Contributor
1,361 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Advise - driving alone from Fairbanks to Inuvik - end of Jun

Hmmm thats a tough one. That road can be remote and gas stations might be hard to come by. On roads that remote, wildlife are not as shy as they are on alot of other highways, so use extra, extra precaution.

I'm just replying to this to keep it active. Might want to post the same on the Yukon forum too.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
60,322 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Advise - driving alone from Fairbanks to Inuvik - end of Jun

I remember your previous post from February.

You won't want to be leaving your food out at night while you're sleeping right next to it.

Some websites that have quite a lot of information on them to help you with your questions:

http://www.yukoninfo.com/dempster/

http://travelyukon.com/Explore/Iconic-Drives

spectacularnwt.com/whattodo/…dempsterhighway

You've got a copy of The Milepost?

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
2,564 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Advise - driving alone from Fairbanks to Inuvik - end of Jun

I'm sorry that I can't be of much help but I just want to say that you've got guts! I really hope you can do this trip and report back and let us know how it went. You might want to get a satellite phone if you can. I'm not sure how good cell phones work in that remoteness you'll be driving through. I wish you the best of luck and I'm behind you 100%.

Edmonton, Canada
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
1,361 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Advise - driving alone from Fairbanks to Inuvik - end of Jun

I agree, if you can, rent or buy a satellite phone, let others know where you will be and when to be expected. My uncle lives in Norman Wells, and has a satellite phone that he uses alot. When you leave Whitehorse, let someone know when to expect you in Inuvik, and if you don't show up at a specified time, at least someone can alert the authorities.

I don't want to scare you, but (as a long time northerner), the area is remote, and not alot of traffic, so plan ahead. Always let others know where you are and where and when to expect you. But with that being said, it can be a smooth ride, and some gorgeous scenery. Just be prepared, as the north is a very isolated, and remote area. But sometimes that is part of the beauty.

Whitehorse, Canada
Level Contributor
470 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Advise - driving alone from Fairbanks to Inuvik - end of Jun

The question isn't about a trek off into the wilderness - the Dempster has lots of traffic. Of course there's no cell service, but a sat phone is overkill when you can hitch a ride with one of the many friendly and helpful people driving that road if you have a problem. Yes, I have driven the Dempster - many, many times.

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
2,564 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Advise - driving alone from Fairbanks to Inuvik - end of Jun

Sorry, I didn't realize the Dempster was so urban.

Whitehorse, Canada
Level Contributor
470 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Advise - driving alone from Fairbanks to Inuvik - end of Jun

No urban by Ontario standards for sure, but enough traffic to ensure a safe trip if you have trouble.

Edmonton, Canada
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
1,361 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Advise - driving alone from Fairbanks to Inuvik - end of Jun

Cool!! Although i'm a longtime northerner, never knew that about the Dempster!! thanks for the info. I've heard horror stories from my uncle when he drives, but no one I knew, knew about the Dempster.

Palo Alto...
Level Contributor
626 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Advise - driving alone from Fairbanks to Inuvik - end of Jun

Thank you very much all for your help. I have given up on this adventure for now but will do it in a year or two. This is in my bucket list. thanks again

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
60,322 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Advise - driving alone from Fairbanks to Inuvik - end of Jun

Yeah, keep it for another time. I remember you wanted to leave from Seattle. If you allow enough time and have some buddies to share the driving and the cost, I think it would be a terrific trip.

Get answers to your questions about Northwest Territories