We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

where to stay and what to do

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
177 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
where to stay and what to do

Hey guys,

I'm currently in lake louise area and thinking about going up to yellowknife and see what's up there. As I don't drive, can anyone tell me what my best option is?I looked into Greyhound bus service and seems to me they don't have bus that goes up there. Is flight from Edmonton is my only option? What can I do around yellowknife in this time of year anyway?Is there any hostel in yellowkinfe..I mean like $30~$40/per night accommodation. Thanks in advance.

Edmonton, Canada
Destination Expert
for Edmonton, Yellowknife
Level Contributor
1,361 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: where to stay and what to do

HI Anthony,

The Bus can take approximately 17 to 20 hours, so yes, if you can I would suggest flying out of Edmonton. Keep an eye on Westjet, they can have some great deals.

As for activities, there is lots to do if you like the outdoors, however renting a car is strong recommended.

- Drive along the Ingraham trail, some great lakes to see, Lots of canoeing and fishing

- Hike to Cameron Falls, absolutely gorgeous, my favourite place of all.

- Climb up to Pilot's monument and watch the float planes take off and land in Back Bay

- visit the Museum

I am not aware of any hostels in Yellowknife, nor or there any hotels that you can find for 30 - 40 dollars. Yellowknife is expensive, but you might be able to find some B&B's for a reasonable price, or if you enjoy camping, you can camp as well.

…lonelyplanet.com/canada/…

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
177 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: where to stay and what to do

Sorry for my late reply Suzanne. I ended up staying few more days in lake louise area cuz I thought it wouldn't be a good idea to spend just a couple of days in yellowknife after taking such a long bus ride. I wanted to give at least 5 days for such a long trip and experience as many different thing as I can. So, I'm planning to take separate trip just for Yukon at the end of oct and see northern lights and ride dog sledge..etc. Is that a good time to travel? Thanks a bunch for your reply.

Edited: 13 August 2011, 18:24
3. Re: where to stay and what to do

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 October 2012, 21:17
Get answers to your questions about Yellowknife
Recent Conversations