We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

traveling from edmontonab too yellowknife

St. Paul, Canada
11 posts
Save Topic
traveling from edmontonab too yellowknife

howare the roads by motercyle are they good!!!!!! we are going in july 5 how are they.thanks for ans

Edmonton, Canada
Destination Expert
for Edmonton, Yellowknife
Level Contributor
1,343 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: traveling from edmontonab too yellowknife

It's paved now, and straightened, should be good for a motorcycle. Only thing that could be problematic is forest fires, but not too often that they have to close roads.

Hastings, NE
Level Contributor
2 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: traveling from edmontonab too yellowknife

I will also be traveling by motorcycle from Edmonton to Yellowknife. Are there gas stations at least every 200 miles? Are there motels on the way to yellowknife?

Edmonton, Canada
Destination Expert
for Edmonton, Yellowknife
Level Contributor
1,343 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: traveling from edmontonab too yellowknife

Here are the best stops. Just about everything is right on the main highway. Your longest stretcheswithout gas will be High level to Enterprise and Fort Providence to Yellowknife.

Between High Level and Enterprise you can head to Hay River for gas and hotels too, in case you find yourself running low. Or if you miss the ferry operating times, I believe it stops at 11pm or midnight and opens again around 6am.

Between Fort Providence and Yellowknife, you can stop off in Rae, which is about an hour away from YK, and they have a gas station, it's about 10Km off the road. I took the kms from google but it looks fairly accurate. If you have time, definitely stop alot on the way. You will see some amazing scenery and definitely stop off at Alexandra Falls, they are gorgeous.

Edmonton - Gas and Hotels

Whitecourt - Gas and Hotels

Valleyview - Gas and Hotels

Peace River - Gas and Hotels

Manning - Gas and Hotels

High Level - Gas and Hotels, but choose your hotels wisely, it's a place for truckers, and some hotels are not the nicest

Enterprise - Gas

Fort Providence - Gas

Yellowknife - Gas and Hotels

200 Miles = 322 Kilometers. The highway speed limits are around 100 - 110 kms per hour.

Edmonton to Whitecourt 181kms

Whitecourt to Valleyview 170kms

Valleyview to Peace River 140kms

Peace River to Manning 100kms

Manning to High Level 196kms

High Level to Enterprise 277kms

Enterprise to Fort Providence 139kms

Fort Providence to Yellowknife 315kms

I'm a northerner, transplanted in Edmonton and I love it when people want to make the trek up to YK. I'll be doing the drive next year! have fun!

Edited: 03 July 2012, 03:39
Hastings, NE
Level Contributor
2 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: traveling from edmontonab too yellowknife

Thank you for the very complete information. I look forward to the ride!

5. Re: traveling from edmontonab too yellowknife

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 July 2013, 23:17