We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Northern lights in April 2013

Waterloo, Canada
1 post
Save Topic
Northern lights in April 2013

I have vacationf for the first two weeks of April 2013. I cannot afford to pay for the hotels that long but can stay two or three nights. Would I be guaranteed to view the Northern Lights and can I do so from the city or do I have to book and pay for a special package?

Edmonton, Canada
Destination Expert
for Edmonton, Yellowknife
Level Contributor
1,349 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Northern lights in April 2013

Well it's gets more "iffy" in April. The temperatures warm up, and there are more daylight hours. The sun rises around 7 and sets around 8:30. With the sun setting later, it takes longer for the sky to get darker so the lights may not be as visible. So there is really no guarantee as to whether or not you will see them.

Normally, I would say it's ok to not book a tour, but with the warmer temperatures and with such a short stay, it might be best for you to book a tour. They will be more familiar with the most ideal viewing places (ie, if the ice road is safe enough) at that time of the year.

Some more inexpensive options for accomodations might be the b&bs which can be less than 100 a night.

2. Re: Northern lights in April 2013

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 September 2013, 10:18