We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Yellowknife Winter Clothing... what to bring.

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
7 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Yellowknife Winter Clothing... what to bring.

My wife and I are planning a trip to Yellowknife, possibly 3rd or 4th week of January. Living in Southern California most of our lives isn't helping when it comes to preparing for a trip to Yellowknife!

Couple nights ago, I randomly was looking at the temperature for Yellowknife, and I'm pretty sure I read some like "-20 F"....-20 F... that was about 80 degrees lower than what I'm used to here!

This made us start to think about what kind of clothing we should bring. We would be taking a tour for the Northern Lights, and it seems they have a winter clothing rental, which we would definitely look into renting... but what else should we prepare for?

It seems the rule of thumb is to wear clothing in layers, and so far, I've gathered a list to look into: Polar Fleece jacket, Fur Mittens, and Neck Gaiters.

I'm still pretty clueless regarding socks and foot wear, as well as any other outer jackets and pants. (Are Jeans okay as a second layer?)

I'm hoping to not freeze to death as i climb out of the air plane... Thanks in advanced!

Auckland Central...
Level Contributor
19 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Yellowknife Winter Clothing... what to bring.

Hi

Is there any particular goose down brands people would recommend ? I have seen outdoor research make some good warm downs but not sure what would be best for -30!

Thanks

Yellowknife, Canada
Level Contributor
101 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Yellowknife Winter Clothing... what to bring.

You must bring warm clothing (especially for your feet) and or take a tour to see the Aurora.

"...Clothing – Dress for the weather – Dress in layers

As much as you may not want to, you will, at some point, need to venture outside. Maybe to get to work, school or to restock on chunky soup at the Grocery Stores. You need to cover your skin and the important parts of your body. The winter weather in Yellowknife is drier than most southern places; there is less moisture in the air, which means when you might not feel the cold but you can still get frost bite. The most important thing to do is cover up as much skin as possible. Frost Bite can happen very quickly and sometimes [without] notice. You should focus on your head, hands and feet as they will be the first to get cold as your body naturally redirects blood inwards.

[The best advice is] to dress in layers. A general rule of thumb about dressing in layers is to have as many layers on as the first digit of the temperature. For example if it is -40ºC, you’d want at least 4 layers on. ( you may want to expand here on what those layers should be: Cotton t-shirt, long sleeves, fleece or wool, a wind breaking layer and parka)..." from

ykonline.ca/2013/…

23. Re: Yellowknife Winter Clothing... what to bring.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 January 2015, 07:20