We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Yellowknife for aurora borealis

Which Yellowknife hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
5 posts
40 reviews
Save Topic
Yellowknife for aurora borealis

Hi,

we are planning to see aurora borealis during September end. We are all set to book the trip for Yellowknife. Any special tips for the trip?

- Which hotel to choose?

- How many days should we stay?

- Is it a good time to try our luck for northern-lights?

- Is Aurora viewing tour from Aurora Village worth trying?

Edmonton, Canada
Destination Expert
for Edmonton, Yellowknife
Level Contributor
1,326 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Yellowknife for aurora borealis

Yellowknife is pretty much divided up into three main sections, Frame Lake area, Downtown and Old town. All 3 are joined by a main road, Franklin Avenue which is the main street.

Frame Lake has the hospital, Walmart, Tim Hortons, McDonalds, but not as easy for walking and it's mostly residential.

Downtown has the malls, more restaurants, and hotels.

Old Town is mostly residential, but it's the roots of the place. It's where Yellowknife pretty much started. Some places of interest are Bullocks Bistro, and the Wildcat Cafe. There are B&B's all over.

Can you post your budget and what area of the city you want to stay in?

As for how many days you want to stay, that is entirely up to you. Are you planning on renting a car? If you are flying, you are looking at a 3 - 31/2 hour flight to Edmonton, then an 1 1/2 hour flight to YK, and add in extra travel time to the airport etc, plan on spending at least a half day for travelling.

Are you planning on doing a bit of hiking? There won't be much to do in terms of winter sports, but there is plenty of hiking in the area.

You can see the lights in September, but always the best time is when the skies are clear, free from light pollution and the air is crisp, meaning COLD, so obviously the better times are in the winter.

I don't have any opinions on the Aurora Village as it wasn't in business when I lived in YK, but I can tell you that you can pretty much see the lights from anywhere. I used to live across from lake, but I was in the middle of town, and our backyard was all rock, so even though we were in the centre of town, I could always count on seeing the lights when it was a good night.

Hope that helps!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
5 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Yellowknife for aurora borealis

Thank you very much Suzanne for you very prompt reply! Let me provide you some more details about our trip:

- We are aware that this trip will be little expensive but we are okay with it as me and my husband both are nature lover and enjoy outdoor :) we are okay to spend 5k - 6k

- We are travelling from Toronto (so stop over is Edmonton) and you are right we will be spending half of the day in flight and we are planning to rent a car

- We have 2 hotels in our mind: Yellowknife Inn OR Days Inn; but not sure which to choose (We want a very clean hotel so that we can take proper rest and be ready for aurora adventure at night)

- And we decided to spend 4-5 nights there and if possible, we will go for 2days of camping along ingraham trail...

- We don't think we will be needing a lot of winter clothes during September

- We want to see and capture some of wildlife: caribou, bison, wolf, fox... any suggestion where should we hike?

- And we are choosing September to see northern-lights as well as we can enjoy beautiful fall there. I heard that Yellowknife has tundra...i wanna see them, so beautiful!

Edmonton, Canada
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
1,326 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Yellowknife for aurora borealis

Days Inn is right on Franklin avenue, I would recommend the YK Inn.

September might not be the most ideal time to go camping, but it might be nice enough to hike. If you decide to go camping, you will need some camping gear.

One of my favourite hikes is the hike out to Cameron Falls. It's well travelled enough that you may not be lucky enough to see alot of wildlife. If you want to see some wildlife, head out on the trail early morning.

The tundra is located north of Yellowknife. It has low lying shrubs due to the arctic winds, whereas Yellowknife has boreal forest and is on the Canadian shield. You will find lots of rock, and lakes. There are some birch trees, spruce, etc. You will also see lichen and moss around that time and even get to sample some juicy wild cranberries.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
5 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Yellowknife for aurora borealis

Thank you Suzanne for all ur recomendations!

Will let you know about our experience once we are back :)

Edmonton, Canada
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
1,326 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Yellowknife for aurora borealis

I would LOVE to hear about your experience. It's my hometown, born and raised. If I could, I would move back in a heartbeat. Most YKers love tourists, as it's one of those places that everyone wants to go, but so far off the beaten track that alot of people never get the chance to visit. And although I have been away from YK for many years, I am immensely proud of it.

Boise, Idaho
Level Contributor
20 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Yellowknife for aurora borealis

Yellowknife Inn is right in the middle of a lot of light pollution. If you will be renting a car that probably does not matter so much for aurora watching, as you can easily go a good distance to get away from it. Last winter I stayed at the Fraser Tower. Except for a few uses of taxis, I mainly got around on foot. The Fraser Tower still has some brightly lit apartment complexes around it, but it is not too bad a walk to Tin Can Hill to put most of the light pollution to one side.

A place that I did not stay that looked promising was the Dancing Moose Lodge in Old Town. However, much of its potential as a good spot for aurora watching with decreased city light pollution could be to walk out onto Yellowknife Bay, which could not be done in September.

Yellowknife, NT
Level Contributor
4 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Yellowknife for aurora borealis

I would suggest you consider Embelton House B & B, as opposed to either of the two hotels you suggested. The stays at hotels in Yk can be iffy, depending on what events are on in town during that time. Embelton has private bedrooms with their own bathrooms and a small kitchenette that you can prepare your own breakfast AND store and prepare food for other meals. It's on the edge of downtown (though nothing is far from anything in Yk).

Acworth, Georgia
Level Contributor
6 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Yellowknife for aurora borealis

I wonder whether it is a good idea to get some camping in the month of October, if you have any camping open from October 5 until October 8, what is the average temperature.

Acworth, Georgia
Level Contributor
6 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Yellowknife for aurora borealis

I wonder whether it is a good idea to get some camping in the month of October, if you have any camping open from October 5 until October 8, what is the average temperature.

Acworth, Georgia
Level Contributor
6 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Yellowknife for aurora borealis

Ricardo and my wife Verlene're going by car from Atlanta GA Yellowknife until the month of October, to see the Northern Lights and I wonder if there are any open camping in October because we want to make a journey of adventure, and to get cheaper our journey and what is the best place you can suggest to see the Northern Lights, we would like to know what you suggest.,