We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Northern light in Sept 2014

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
25 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Northern light in Sept 2014

We are planning a trip to Yellowknife on Sept 22,2014 for about a week, chasing the northern light is the main reason. We stayed 5days in Iceland last October and it was too cloudy so unfortunately we did not see any aurora. Snow activities are not our interest, we prefer scenery fall colors, as most reviews recommend Ingraham Trail. But the reviews show that Jan to Mar is the perfect timing, pls advise should we cancel the Sept holiday and go in Mar 2015 instead ? Worry that the aurora activity will slow down as my friend said that NL is most active in 2012~ 2013.

Is it possible to see the NL and enjoy the lovely fall season at the same time in YK ?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Edmonton, Canada
Destination Expert
for Edmonton, Yellowknife
Level Contributor
1,361 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Northern light in Sept 2014

You can certainly still see the lights in September. Beautiful time of the year as well. And if you are not used to cold weather, then seeing them in September will be a great time, as you won't have to worry too much about keeping warm.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
15,154 posts
769 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Northern light in Sept 2014

Here is an article I found that may be of interest to you and it sounds positive:

www.auroravillage.com/aurora_facts.html

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
25 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Northern light in Sept 2014

Thank you for your prompt reply, we love to soak in the red and yellow fall color. We lived in Maine U.S. for 10 yrs so we really missed the fall in N.America. Just do not want to be disappointed again if we cannot see the aurora this Sept. The expert states NL is strong close to equinox. We like to hike and used to do 6~7 hrs per day. If it is ok to walk around YK, is public transport reliable, we plan to stay in Explorer Hotel as the reviews said one can watch the NL just outside the Hotel. In the daytime, we will walk the trail, picnic, visit museum. Also thinking about extend the holiday going to Whitehorse, there is a hot spring and some aboriginal historic things there and of course can see the NL.

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
25 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Northern light in Sept 2014

Thks Tdssuperstar, will certain check the aurora website. Is it a wise course of action to add Whitehorse to the Yellowknife holiday? Any bus/ coach connecting them ?

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
25 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Northern light in Sept 2014

Thanks Suzanne for all your previous information about YK in TA, I read all of them on planning the itinerary.

Edmonton, Canada
Destination Expert
for Edmonton, Yellowknife
Level Contributor
1,361 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Northern light in Sept 2014

Wow, extending your trip to Whitehorse is not going to be easy. There is no direct road from Yk to Whitehorse and the northern part of the Rockies separates the 2 territories. There is no bus either. The easiest way to do this would be to fly, but not sure how many direct flights there are.

Keep in mind, that both territories are isolated, and remote and not as populated as say Alberta. They do not get very many tourists, though YK's popularity has increased because of the northern lights and diamond mines. As a tourist, it is not an easy region of Canada to visit. But the locals love to see tourists and are some of the most friendly people ever.

YK is easy enough to walk around. It's very long, all joined together by one main road, Franklin Road. If you must walk. walk the trails around Frame Lake to the Explorer. You can also find some nice back trails from Explorer to Old town.

Inuvik, Canada
Level Contributor
29 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Northern light in Sept 2014

I think that Air North has started flying from Whitehorse to Yellowknife, check that out.

I like Whitehorse better than Yellowknife (Sorry Yellowknife people). Both you can walk around and should be able to do some hiking, although renting a car would be best. Not sure how public transportation is as I've never used it in either city, but I know they both have busses, targeted mainly to local commuters.

September is a great time for Aurora. It is my favourite time because it is warmer.

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
25 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Northern light in Sept 2014

Thank you very much to all of you, we are planning the itinerary and we will definitely see the aurora with your advise and recommendation.

Curitiba, PR
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Northern light in Sept 2014

Coincidentally, my first (and frustrated) attempt to see the Aurora was also in Iceland in October, 5 days in 2012. After a lot of research, I booked a stay in Yellowknife from September 22-26 this year in the hope of finally fulfilling my life-long dream of experiencing the Northern Lights. It was only after booking flights and hotel that I learned that skies in September are overcast 88% of the time. Unfortunately all my reservations are non-refundable, so I'll have to count on a lot of luck, and hope you bring with you some good luck too, since we'll be in Yellowknife at the same time of the year. Also like you, I'm traveling a long way, namely from Brazil, just for the chance to see the Aurora Borealis. If coincidences keep happening, we might even be staying at the same hotel (mine is the Coast Fraser Tower) and could have a chance to meet.

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
25 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Northern light in Sept 2014

Hello, Gilberto, the research reviews that the chance of seeing the NL is high during the new moon. According to the Chinese calender, Sept 24/2014 is the new moon time. May somebody who are living in YK or know something about this give some advise. There is last year's aurora record in the website of aurora village, www.auroravillage.com.

Get answers to your questions about Yellowknife
Recent Conversations