We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best boat trip to see puffins?

Springfield...
12 posts
Save Topic
Best boat trip to see puffins?

Have read about Donalda from Cape Breton, also some boats leave from Sydney, some from Bra's D'OR lake (sp?) ....Which is best place to leave from? also read that there's a trip from Cutler, Maine w/Bold Coast Charter to Machias Seal Island. My head is spinning !!! Which trip would you reccommend? Will be doing the Cabot Trail and spending most time up North part of NS mis-August. 1st time visitor. Appreciate all the itinerary suggestions we've found here. Thanks for the help

Springfield...
12 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Best boat trip to see puffins?

PS: The Bold Coast Charter in Maine says they get you closer thqan other trips and also have a trip where you can go ashore if weather permits. How close do you get on other trips from NS?

Owen Sound, Canada
Level Contributor
628 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Best boat trip to see puffins?

Machias is just off the Maine / New Brunswick - a very long way from Cape Breton. Are you planning this trip for next year?

Definitely the best place to see large numbers of puffins in Atlantic Canada is Witless Bay, Newfoundland but of course this is a significantly longer trip from Pennsylvania.

Jerry

Sydney
Level Contributor
881 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best boat trip to see puffins?

Crystall66,

I have taken the Bird Island Boat Tours which leaves from "Big Bras d'Or". Both "Bird Island Boat Tours" and Donelda's "Puffin Boat Tour" go to the same place - Bird Island. I went on an afternoon tour and thoroughly enjoyed it. I can't imagine getting any closer to the island/rocks or to the puffins than we did on Bird Island Boat Tour. I would recommend it to anyone.

Cheers

Springfield...
12 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Best boat trip to see puffins?

pfound: which trip was the shorter distance to ride on the boat? Thanks for info. :)

Sydney
Level Contributor
881 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best boat trip to see puffins?

Bird Island Boat Tours out of Big Bras d'Or is probably a little bit shorter, but marginally. As you don't get out of the boat anyway, you are likely the same amount of time "at sea" if that is what your concern is.

Springfield...
12 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Best boat trip to see puffins?

pfound: thanks for info. I was concerned about length of time on the boat, if one trip was going to take longer to get there than another.

PS: Got a reply from Captain Andrew Patterson of Bold Coast Charter Company...tours from Cutler, Maine to Machias Seal Island on Maine Coast: Their tours conclude in mid-August . He states that since the Puffins & other nesting species of that island are migratory seabirds and have completed their nesting & raising of young, the end of Aug., that the beg. of Sept, would be too late. He estimates their last tour will be sometime around Aug. 20th.(because it varies each season) We'd thought about catching this tour on our way home during the first wk. of Sept. ...So: now we'll try and get a tour in NS if they have still them around the 29th. Will have to check when we get there if the puffins are still there.

The information here is amazing. Thanks to all in the know who post .

7. Re: Best boat trip to see puffins?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 September 2009, 17:20