We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car Rental Questions

British Columbia...
Level Contributor
377 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
Car Rental Questions

We plan to rent a car when we fly into Halifax for the two weeks we are travelling in NS. We don't arrive until the 7th of October and I have been looking into renting on line.

There is such a multitude of different rates through all the discount sites (Hotwire, Redtag, Orbitz) etc....they all want you to pay up front with no refund...If you call the rental agency directly, the rates seem to be much higher...

Does anyone out there have recommendations about where to rent, where not to rent, any (horror) stories about online rental etc. what companies are better...any info is appreciated.

Thanks for your help!

Level Contributor
2,033 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car Rental Questions

lulu

I've stuck to renting online directly with various national car rental companies direct.

1. Always check their site for a tab labelled specials. My experience has been that Enterprise tend to have better weekly rates than others, but their hours can be shorter and often closed Sundays. Their cars can be smaller - which can be great on gas. As such, their smaller cars may not have speed control.

2. Closer to the date, price around again. Some offer last minute specials. Perhaps even the company you've already booked with!

3. You'll also find this tip on the Inside page tripadvisor.com/Travel-g153339-c55484/Canada… Check if your auto insurance or credit card covers you. Otherwise, your daily rental rate can double (because insurance purchased at a car rental company is over $20 per day)

The nice thing with renting with national companies direct? No penalties for cancelling or simply not showing up.

Texas
Level Contributor
101 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car Rental Questions

lululemon:

I used Priceline for a standard-size 8-day rental from Hertz and paid $123.10 less than a similar rental direct from Enterprise.

Singing Raccoon

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
23,540 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car Rental Questions

if you book directly with the car rental agencies, there is never a requirement to prepay. If you go to the respective agency websites, there are all sorts of specials, promotions. Also airlines frequent flyer programs, CAA, or even your employer provide discount codes for the rental companies. If you choose to call, ask for discounts and promotions. Like hotels, they always tell you the highest rates, unless you ask, and keep asking.

I never prepay when renting in North America.

Bingley, Yorkshire...
4 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Car Rental Questions

Thrifty and Hertz are located within the Terminal so you can pick up your car right outside the building. Others are a trek. Thrifty has good rates but the queue is often longer depending on luck. Hertz is usually quieter and more expensive.

Hope that helps.

Ontario
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Car Rental Questions

Used Avis for our trip 2 weeks ago. Agree with checking Specials - got a better deal on my choice than the regular rate (Mustang convertible + sunny weather) I shopped all of the available agents in the airport, and also tried with my company's corporate rate - the special still was the best deal. I tried the online discount sites, could not match direct deals.

British Columbia...
Level Contributor
377 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Car Rental Questions

Thanks so much...all your info much appreciated!

7. Re: Car Rental Questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 September 2009, 17:18