We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

travelling with children

ontario
1 post
Save Topic
travelling with children

My husband, my self and my two daughters (ages 10 & 3) are planning a trip to Nova Scotia. Our time is limited since we will be driving from Ontario and expect to spend about 4 nights in NS. We are interested in seafood dining, swimming, kayaking, beaches, whale watching, scenery and a lighthouse or two. I need your help with planning the details?

Where would be the best places to go for the above activities?

Any other activities you recommend for the children?

Should we base ourselves in one place? If so, where is best?

Thank you.

New Minas, Canada
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
2,197 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: travelling with children

Hi Jess,

For the activities that you mentioned I'd suggest the Southwest region of Nova Scotia.

In the Annapolis Valley, you'll find the Oaklawn Farm Zoo which children & adults alike enjoy.

--- www.oaklawnfarmzoo.ca ---

Between Annapolis Royal & Digby is Upper Clements Park with a wildlife park acroos the road.

--- www.uppperclementspark.com ---

The best whalewatching is off Brier Island,which you reach by taking 2 short ferry rides.

--- www.brierisland.com ---

Then on the South Shore you will find beautiful sandy beaches, places for kayaking & lighthouses.

Of course, there will be many places to enjoy seafood wherever you go.

With 4 nights, I'd suggest perhaps spending 2 nights on each coast of this area. Perhaps in the Annapolis Royal area on the Bay of Fundy side.

Then between Liverpool & Lunenburg on the Atlantic coast.

Make sure to order the free "Doers & Dreamers" guide online at --- www.novascotia.com ----

Also, check the following website:

--- www.destinationsouthwestnova.com ---

Fundygirl

Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
5 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: travelling with children

Fundygirl has some good points. First, 4 days is a very short time. I would recommend you stay in one or two places only and within 45 minutes of Halifax/Dartmouth. The Eastern Shore offers great opportunities for canoeing and kayaking and has some fantastic beaches also - longest Sandy beach in the Province (Martinique)is just 45 minutes East of downtown Halifax. While it may not be possible try to extend your visit to 7 days. Very often you will find waterfront B&Bs that offer those kids pastimes that you are seeking for free. Try 2 days in each area - you do not want to try too much driving while you are here.

3. Re: travelling with children

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 September 2009, 11:19