We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Are B&B's all there is?

FLA
Level Contributor
108 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Are B&B's all there is?

Traveling with two boys this summer and we want to spend a night or two in Mahone Bay or Lunenberg. It appears there are only B&B's - is this correct? And B&B's do not accept children do they?

gracias

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
18,139 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Are B&B's all there is?

Most B&B's accept children. Human rights legislation actually prohibits B&Bs from not accepting children (discrimination based on age); a B&B in Quebec fought this in court, and lost.

If they do not want children or the environment is not suitable, the B&B owners will usually either say so on their website, or else say things like "adult oriented". Note that there may be an extra charge for a child, no matter what the age, or you may have to rent a separate room for the child(ren) - the rooms may be limited to double occupancy by fire or health regulations (or by hosts' policy), so extra people would require extra rooms, at an extra charge.

www.bbcanada.com is a national B&B directory, and their listings indicate the B&B's that are "child friendly".

Sydney
Level Contributor
881 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Are B&B's all there is?

Most, if not all, of the accommodations in Mahone Bay are B&Bs. Lunenburg has many Inns and several motels.

My wife and I run a B&B in Sydney on Cape Breton Island. I only say that to point out that we, and most other B&Bs in Nova Scotia, do take children. In our case we have three rooms, two of which can take a cot for a 3rd person (chld or otherwise). Almost all B&Bs will charge extra for a 3rd person (child or otherwise). B&Bs in Nova Scotia by definition (and somewhat by law) are restricted to a maximum of 4 rooms and by fire regulations cannot have more than 10 people in the home, including the hosts. Consequently many B&Bs if they have 4 rooms cannot generally accept a 3rd person in any room without contravening the rules.

Cheers

Chester Basin...
Level Contributor
3,781 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Are B&B's all there is?

Hello NGuatemala "

You would be nearby Mahone Bay ( then 10 more minutes to Lunenburg) at "

Oak Island Resort and Spa "

www.oakislandresortandspa.com

very kid friendly, 2 pools, 1 in 1 out and much more.

In Lunenburg "

2 spacious oceanside flats "

www.admiraltyhouse.ns.ca

Atlantic View Motel and Cottages "

www.atlanticview.ca

Brigintine Suites "

www.brigantineinn.com

Rum Runner Inn "

www.rumrunnerinn.com

Smugglers Cove Inn "

www.smugglerscoveinn.ca

Lily Front Motel and Cottages "

wwwlilyfrontmotel.com

I hope you find something suitable to your family from the list provided,

regards,

blondie**

FLA
Level Contributor
108 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Are B&B's all there is?

I greatly appreciate all the information and advice, especially all the great links! I will take some time later tonight and most likely pick one of blondies suggestions.

Mid Coast Maine...
Level Contributor
772 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Are B&B's all there is?

Also in Lunenburg, the Bluenose Lodge http://users.eastlink.ca/~bnoselodge/ Has 2 family suites in their carriage house. The owners have 2 small children themselves so are extremely accommodating and probably will have a lot of suggestions on what to do with your little ones.

Mid Coast Maine...
Level Contributor
772 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Are B&B's all there is?

Sorry, I gave you the wrong web address. Try this instead http://www.bluenoselodge.ca/

7. Re: Are B&B's all there is?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 September 2009, 12:17