We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Our Bed & Breakfast Selections!

Florida
Level Contributor
118 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Our Bed & Breakfast Selections!

I spent weeks reading TA reviews, did lots of internet searches and made a few phone calls, and here are the B & B's that I selected for our 16 day trip this summer. We wanted a/c, king bed and some "character"....

Airport arrival/departure: Inn on the Lake

Alicion in Lunenburg

Bailey House in Annapolis Royal

Baker's Chest in Truro

Charlotte's Rose Inn in PEI

Island Sunset Resort & Spa in Belle Cote

Oakwood Manor in Cape North

Cranberry Cove Inn in Louisbourg

I'm expecting each place to be wonderful! So I'll report back when we return.....

World
Level Contributor
966 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Our Bed & Breakfast Selections!

What time to you arrive? I would not bother staying at the Inn on the Lake unless you have to. Lunenburg is only 1:45 drive from the Halifax Airport so why not just stay there the first night.

Florida
Level Contributor
118 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Our Bed & Breakfast Selections!

Hello MQ,

We arrive at 10 PM. Inn on the Lake says they have an airport shuttle until midnight, and our rental car from Enterprise will be delivered to Inn on the Lake, ready for us in the morning. Then, our return flight leaves at 7 am and we can just leave the car at the hotel and take the early shuttle to the airport. Seems very convenient.

We wanted to stay at B & B's for this trip and I don't thing midnight check-ins are very welcome!!

I understand what you are saying, if we were arriving earlier in the day. I didn't know we were that close....but the thing is, we also want to see Peggy's Cove, etc. on the way to Lunenburg. And we wanted to pick up some gourmet groceries for picnics (and some wine!) at Pete's Frootique (close to Inn on the Lake)....good idea?? I found it on an internet search.

Mid Coast Maine...
Level Contributor
761 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Our Bed & Breakfast Selections!

Pete's is located in downtown Halifax, which is not far from Inn on the Lake, but certainly not right around the corner. They do have some yummy treats though.

Another place to stop very close to Lunenburg is Joanne's Market in Mahone Bay. Take exit 10 off of the 103, and turn right to head into the town of Mahone Bay. You'll find her on the right hand side as you enter town.

But the very best source for picnic treats are the local farmers markets. There's a great one in Lunenburg on Thursday mornings which always has the most amazing produce, 2 different french bakers with croisannts, pastries and breads, a cheese producer, a local coffee roaster and usually some of the local food shops and restaurants selling their treats as well. There is often some local musically entertainment as well. It's quite an "event".

Although I haven't been, I hear the one in Annapolis Royal is very good too, and the Halifax market on Saturday mornings is outstanding!!

Here's a link to the markets so you don't miss any...

http://www.nsfarmersmarkets.ca/

Halifax, NS
Level Contributor
3,214 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Our Bed & Breakfast Selections!

The Pete's in the Sunnyside Mall on the Bedford Highway is closer to the Inn on the Lake than the one in downtown Halifax.

Florida
Level Contributor
118 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Our Bed & Breakfast Selections!

Yes, I was referring to the Pete's in the Mall location, which should be about 10 minutes away.

I love the fresh markets, too, but I had already checked the web page and we will miss every one of them except Saturday in Halifax! We won't have the time to induldge in that one. Lunenburg's sounds like a very entertaining Thursday morning! But we won't be in town that day :(

Thanks for the tip about Jo-Anne's. I just checked and found the web page and we will definitely stop there. Anything like that in Truro? or Cape Breton? May need to re-stock by then.

Mid Coast Maine...
Level Contributor
761 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Our Bed & Breakfast Selections!

You might also want to stop at some of our local wineries during your travels to supplement those picnics: http://www.winesofnovascotia.ca/

And, if you're into scotch, stop by Glenora Distillery in Cape Breton. http://www.glenoradistillery.com/

Fall River, Canada
Destination Expert
for Halifax
Level Contributor
1,314 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Our Bed & Breakfast Selections!

To get to Pete's from the Inn on the Lake, take the hwy exit to the 102 highway that is closest to your hotel, heading towards Halifax.

The first exit on the highway is Lower Sackville. The second exit is also for Lower Sackville, but the Bedford exit is immediately just past it, the third exit.

When you come off the exit ramp, you will merge onto the Bedford Highway. Pete's is the 4th set of lights and you will turn left into the parking lot.

It's only 5 minutes away.

You can easily do lunch there, they have all sorts of delightful food stations. Fresh salad/sandwich bar, gourment pizza, unbelievable soups and pastas, and a sushi place.

Florida
Level Contributor
118 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Our Bed & Breakfast Selections!

Thank you cqreno ~ I love directions like that!!

Fall River, Canada
Destination Expert
for Halifax
Level Contributor
1,314 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Our Bed & Breakfast Selections!

No prob. Where else do you want to go?

Florida, USA
Level Contributor
11 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Our Bed & Breakfast Selections!

I like your selections and am going to include a couple of your B & Bs choices on our trip this fall. Did you find anything in Baddeck which was impressive? We would like to spend a couple of days in that area.