We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

B&Bs with kids

Halifax
Level Contributor
221 posts
Save Topic
B&Bs with kids

I'd like to stay in a B&B with our kids. Is it generally reasonable to ask a B&B owner to supply a cot or an air bed, so 2 small kids can sleep in the same room as parents? Or would they make us take (and pay for) a second room? I don't mind paying a little extra for breakfast.

thanks!

Sydney
Level Contributor
881 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: B&Bs with kids

Andiegirl,

A B&B in Nova scotia is legally a property that has four rooms or fewer and is owner occupied. Provincial fire regulations limit the number of people that stay in a B&B to 10, including the owners. B&Bs with four rooms will not generally take more than 2 people in a room because they would be breaking the law. You will find some B&Bs with only 2 or 3 rooms that can and will take a third person in a room. there may be some that will take 4 to a room but they will be few and far between. Any that take extra people in a room usually charge $10-20 for the extra person. If you are travelling during the peak of the tourism season it will be more difficult to find a place that will trake 3 or 4 to a room.

Cheers

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
19,749 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: B&Bs with kids

It is reasonable to ask; it is *definitely* unreasonable to show up at a B&B with kids, not having indicated that they will be coming.

It is not unreasonable for hosts to say no - they are not required to accommodate this request, and their circumstances may not allow it.

It really depends on the situation at the individual B&B in regards to licensing and insurance etc., as well as their preferences as hosts. The number of people that can occupy a room is determined by building code and other regulations, including the overall number of guests that a home is permitted to accommodate. The room may simply not be large enough for four guests. Also, if a B&B has two rooms and are permitted & insured for four guests, the hosts will probably ask you to rent the second room for your children as they will not be able to rent it to another party anyway because doing so would put them over their occupancy limit.

Although it is common for hotels to not charge additional for children (and this tends to carry over to B&Bs), this is more of a marketing decision than a reflection of actual costs or work. Having children as guests often creates a lot of extra time & cleaning, as well as additional costs - fingerprints on walls and windows, additional beds to change and laundry to wash, meals to prepare, the need for waterproof covers on beds etc. So some B&Bs charge based on their actual costs and time. Generally, if a B&B doesn't offer special deals for families, you can probably assume that a/ either they are luke-warm on taking kids or b/ they are busy and enough in demand that they don't need to offer special deals to one market segment.

Some B&Bs are a more adult-oriented environment and may have policies in place stipulating a maximum of two guests per room, and may not be willing to stray from it. This may be because of regulations (as in the example above) or it may be their way of indicating that their B&B is not suitable for small children (because parents usually want them in the same room and are not willing to pay for a second room) - perhaps the B&B is advertised as an adult romantic get-away, perhaps their home is full of expensive antiques. I know of one waterfront B&B that has a cliff overlooking the water and they do not take children because of safety concerns with that.... they meet all the regulations, but could not sleep at night worrying about this when they have children on the property, so they switched to adult-only, for their own peace of mind.

In addition, sometimes room layouts make it difficult and awkward to add a cot to the room (even if the room is large enough that the regulations allow more than two people). Where I am, many hosts do not offer cots or foamies/air mattresses for additional guests because they do not want to crowd their rooms, or want the extra wear and tear that goes with that.

The biggest beef of B&B owners in regards to children is when parents don't ensure their children behave respectfully, and then disturb other guests. Don't forget that in most cases, the B&B is also the hosts' home. You should be prepared to ensure that your children behave appropriately i.e. furniture is for sitting, no running and yelling indoors etc., appropriate manners at the breakfast table (especially if other guests are present).

I would ask your host and take your cue from them. Many B&Bs are happy to accommodate families and are geared toward that; others are not.

Hope this helps!

Halifax
Level Contributor
221 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: B&Bs with kids

Thanks! I guess bottom line, I can ask, but I may not get a yes. At least now I understand the issues. I sure didn't know about fire regulations, insurance, etc.

Mid Coast Maine...
Level Contributor
814 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: B&Bs with kids

You might also want to check out "inns". Different from a "B&B" in that they have 5+ rooms, and some have rooms with 2 double or queen beds, or a bed and a sleeper sofa for the kiddies. Even if the kids are in the same room, you might still have to pay a small "extra person" charge to cover the extra cleaning, laundry and food for breakfast.

What towns are you planning on visiting? If you let us know we might be able to suggest some places that might be more appropriate for your family.

Halifax
Level Contributor
221 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: B&Bs with kids

Thank you for your offer. I'm interested in the Sydney area.

Sydney
Level Contributor
881 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: B&Bs with kids

andiegirl,

A B&B in the Sydney area that you may want to look at is Boot's & Sassy's B&B in Howie Centre 8 km outside of town. They only have one guest room but it is huge and also has a large sitting area that can accommodate 2 other guests. They also have a pool and a cat. It might be perfect for your needs. You can go to their listing at www.bbcanada.com

Cheers

7. Re: B&Bs with kids

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 September 2009, 23:19