We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Do you have to eat lobster?

Somerset UK
Destination Expert
for Devon
Level Contributor
1,050 posts
202 reviews
Save Topic
Do you have to eat lobster?

Firstly, I have to admit to not liking lobster.

I've only tried it twice; once in the UK and once in Maine and I'm not keen at all - sorry!!

We're going to Nova Scotia in early September for 10 days and included in our trip is a mini cruise (3 hours) with a lobster dinner. Do these cruises ever offer any alternative to eating lobster?

Thanks

Mid Coast Maine...
Level Contributor
802 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Do you have to eat lobster?

Yes, most will accommodate you. Just be sure to call, or e-mail them ahead of time. If they can't or won't, pack a picnic meal for yourself.

Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
691 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Do you have to eat lobster?

In this day and age, with the knowledge that so many people have food allergies, I can't imagine that they wouldn't offer some sort of alternative.

What company is the 3 hour cruise offered through?

(Hmmm...a 3 hour cruise? Bring lots of luggage and clothing and a radio, in case the Professor can't find any coconuts *G*)

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
74,299 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Do you have to eat lobster?

Hi RaphEmer;

As the OP is from the UK, it is very unlikely they will understand your comment “(Hmmm...a 3 hour cruise? Bring lots of luggage and clothing and a radio, in case the Professor can't find any coconuts *G*)”

WaltR…RaphEmer is trying to poke fun about the cruise being a 3 hour tour. In the late 60’s to the early 70’ there was a TV show called Gilligan’s Island, which was a sitcom about 7 castaways stranded on an uncharted island for years. The “Professor” has a knack for utilizing coconuts to make modern day appliances, such as a radio.

Best Regards

Somerset UK
Destination Expert
for Devon
Level Contributor
1,050 posts
202 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Do you have to eat lobster?

Thanks RescueTeam - you're right. I didn't have a clue!!

Do you know anything about Upper Canada Village? Our next door neighbours visited it and thoroughly enjoyed it although I have to say we have lots of very similar things in the UK. Having said that, it sounds very much like Skansen in Stockholm which was a real treat.

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
74,299 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Do you have to eat lobster?

Hi WaltR;

Upper Canada Village is located in the Province of Ontario, which is quite a distance away from the Province of Nova Scotia, approx. 800 miles / 1280 km to the west.

You can read more about Upper Canada Village by visiting their website.

http://www.uppercanadavillage.com/

Best Regards

Somerset UK
Destination Expert
for Devon
Level Contributor
1,050 posts
202 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Do you have to eat lobster?

Thanks - I knew it was in Ontario but we're going to Ontario on our way home at the end of September. There is only one posting about here on TA.

Perhaps I should have asked the question on the Ontario forum?

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
25,959 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Do you have to eat lobster?

Upper Canada Village is worth a visit, but it's not on my top 3 list of living history villages in Canada. I'd probably put it in the number 5 spot though. They do a very good job of interpreting historic/traditional crafts, such as broommaking and wheel making, and the working sawmill is excellent. However, I found the nearby site of the battle of Crysler's Farm (and associated interpretive centre) to be much more interesting.

On the other hand, Fortress Louisbourg in Nova Scotia is not to be missed - it's #1 on my list.

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
74,299 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Do you have to eat lobster?

Hi WaltR;

Sorry…After reading so many postings, I had forgotten about the other part of your trip. ;-)

Morrisburg Ont. is approx. 67 miles / 107 km east of Gananoque, or 96 miles / 155 km west of Montreal. Unfortunately, the train doesn’t stop in Morrisburg, so getting there would be awkward.

As an alternate, I would take Country Wife’s excellent advice and visit Fortress Louisbourg

Best Regards

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
26,995 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Do you have to eat lobster?

Even by English standards, Fortress Louisburg is amazing. Get there if you can.

Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
691 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Do you have to eat lobster?

Oops, sorry about that. Gilligan's Island has been on tv for so long that it's easy to forget it's not necessarily been seen everywhere.