We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nova Scotia, Cape Breton and Newfoundland in 2 weeks?

Long Island NY
Level Contributor
789 posts
270 reviews
Save Topic
Nova Scotia, Cape Breton and Newfoundland in 2 weeks?

We are thinking about a Canadian road trip for the last 2 weeks in August 2006. Are we biting off too much by covering Nova Scotia, Cape Breton and Newfoundland in 2 weeks? We will be traveling with 2 kids, 8 and 9 and plan to spend most of our nights in B&Bs or similar accommodations. Looking for non hotel accommodations that will work for a family. Days will be spent mostly outdoors hiking and enjoying this beautiful area, I think I have this part covered thanks to other postings on this site.

We will drive through New Brunswick on the way up. We have spent a week in the Fundy area on a previous trip so we will be just passing through this time. Then on to Newfoundland via the Port aux Basques ferry and back via the Argentia ferry. Finally taking a ferry out of Yarmouth on the way home.

So are we trying to do too much? Can we get by without reservations so we can change plans on the fly? About half of the US goes back to school in mid August which cuts down on the crowds here, does anyone know what the Canadian school schedule looks like?

Yarmouth Nova Scotia
1 post
Save Reply
1. Re: Nova Scotia, Cape Breton and Newfoundland in 2 weeks?

To cover Nova Scotia and Cape Breton is way too much in a 2 week span. If you want to see and do anything.

Schools are scheduled to go in after the labor day weekend.

North Vancouver...
Level Contributor
1,175 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Nova Scotia, Cape Breton and Newfoundland in 2 weeks?

We just returned from 2 weeks in the Maritimes - Halifax, South Shore, Cape Breton, finishing off with 2 nights in PEI. We had plenty of time to see and do everything we wanted to but we did do quite a lot of driving in that time. The weather wasn't the best so we didn't do much hiking, but lots of sightseeing and visiting historic sights. Don't miss the Fortress of Louisbourg - I'm sure your kids would enjoy it.

I think it may be too much for you to cover Newfoundland as well in the time you have. The ferry rides are lengthy and would use up the best part of a day either way. You might want to consider a couple of days in PEI instead - the beaches are beautiful there and we found it an interesting contrast to Nova Scotia, with its red soil and potato farms, and of course, Anne of Green Gables!