We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tentative Itinerary

Burleson, TX
Level Contributor
186 posts
273 reviews
Save Topic
Tentative Itinerary

This is for September 2009. I know this is almost a year away but I'm a planner. :D

Trip length 2 weeks. Flying in/out Halifax. Interested in Acadian History, scenic drives, historic sites and photography. I realize we will be on the move most days but I think each day we can go at a slow pace and not have to back track.

1st nite-Heading for South Shore/Peggy's Cove or Chester area.

2nd nite-Mavillette/Cape Saint Mary

3rd nite-Brier Island

4th nite-Grand Pre area

5th nite-Cape d'Or

6th nite-Antigonish

7/8/9-Cape Breton/Cabot Trail

10th nite-Louisbourg area

11th nite-1/2 way to Halifax

12/13-Halifax

Are we staying in places too close together? Are we giving ourselves enough time in each area? Reason for Cape d'Or is to stay at the Lighthouse-Guesthouse. Is that worth the detour? Any & all comments are appreciated.

Thanks for your help.

k

Halifax, NS Canada
Level Contributor
398 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tentative Itinerary

Hi K, nice to meet a fellow planner! That's half the fun of a trip, isn't it?

The first thing that jumps out at me is that you will be doing a lot of driving, and packing and unpacking, in a short space of time. Not to say that it would be impossible to follow this itinerary, but realize that you are not going to have a lot of time to relax if you do it that way.

Personally, I would be inclined to exchange Briar Island in favour of another day in the Grand Pre area, and possibly exchange Antigonish in favour of another day in either Louisbourg area or Mavilette area. That would take the pressure off you a bit and also allow you to explore some of the Acadian areas in a bit more depth.

Chester Basin...
Level Contributor
3,782 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tentative Itinerary

Yes a lot of driving involved with this itinerary.

Be advised that Brier Island is an off the beaten track location, beautiful drive down the "neck" and the very best place for whalewatching but time consuming !! It takes quite some time to travel to Brier Island and back out again so please be aware of this.

We do have the benefit of time on our side to fine tune your itinerary so that's a very good thing of course.

As it stands right now, it's ambitious but not impossible. Lets wait for more comments and go from there,

blondie **

Burleson, TX
Level Contributor
186 posts
273 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tentative Itinerary

Thank you both for your suggestions.

I guess I was thinking that staying in one place we would be driving back & forth from sights. Also the driving time would be the same if we were moving to another location not repeating any drives.

As Blondie, said we have the time to tweak & fine tune the itinerary.

I don't know if I can give up Brier Island. lol

I look forward to more comments and suggestions.

k

Chester Basin...
Level Contributor
3,782 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tentative Itinerary

Hello k "

I'm not suggesting that you do, quite the contrary actually, it's a one of a kind place, I would just like you to pace yourselves accordingly.

Laverna's Catch is a place to stop for a meal out that way, reviews and comments are excellent.

Search " Laverna's Catch" in the Nova Scotia search function and watch CaliforniaDeb's trip review on the boards if you haven't already, I'm quite sure she mentioned stopping there after reading such positive things about this establishment here at Tripadvisor.com

You'll find the French Acadian Shores most interesting and the shellfish in this location is the best. Mavillette Beach is one of my favourites right after "The Hawk " on Cape Sable Island and Crescent Beach in Lockport, do enjoy the beauty of Mavillette, the dunes, the sunrises or sunsets etc.

I have only had the lighthouse experience once at Cape D'or but what a memory !

You will be going out of your way as per your itinerary but perhaps it's well worth it too you.

I think you mentioned in your original post that you would like to partake in the Ghost Walk Tour and or Historical Tour in Annapolis Royal perhaps (?)

I'm not seeing by your itinerary that this would be possible right now but it's the very best one that I have personally taken part in and highly recommend it if at all possible.

regards,

blondie **

Chester Basin...
Level Contributor
3,782 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tentative Itinerary

K "

I'm sure you've been to the www.brierisland.com website, doesn't that intro song just call you there ???

I absolutely love it !!

Chester Basin...
Level Contributor
3,782 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tentative Itinerary

www.bayoffundytourism.com

A good site for recommended experiences and much more......

Burleson, TX
Level Contributor
186 posts
273 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tentative Itinerary

Thank you, once again, Blondie.

Yes, going on the Ghost Walking Tour was/is on my must do list. I was weighing it against the trip out to Brier Island and Brier Island won. Of course, now I am regretting it. I'll have to figure out how to add that back in.

I think I will be spreading out maps/books/printouts all over the dining room table this weekend and try to revamp the itieneray.

My plan with Brier Island was to drive out in the morning. Do the afternoon tour and stay the night & leave the next morning. How long of a drive is it? I know there are two ferry crossings that have to be timed "just right" but not how much driving time is involved.

Keep the suggestions coming. I usually put a "book" together right before a trip. All our confirmations, restaurants suggestions, maps, sights, etc.

Thank you.

k

Sydney
Level Contributor
881 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tentative Itinerary

k,

The one thing that does stick out as out of your way is Cape dÓr. My recommendation would be to drop it out of your schedule and thus free up a little more time overall. In Cape Breton, I would recommend 2 days around the Cabot Trail and 3 in the Sydney/Louisbourg area. The Fortress of Louisbourg takes most of our guests the entire day. The other site which gives you a true feel of the essence of Cape Breton is the Cape Breton Miner's Museum in Glace Bay. Both Louisbourg and Glace Bay are 20 minutes (in different directions) from Sydney. Many of our guests find the Miner's Museum the highlight of their trip. One of the other things you will want to do in Cape Breton is go to some of the local entertainment/ceilidhs. There is something every night from mid June to mid October at the Louisbourg Playhouse (schedule doesn't come out until June) and on the west coast of Cape Breton there is usually a local ceilidh in one of the small towns every night (the one in Inverness usually on Thursday is superb).

Cheers

Burleson, TX
Level Contributor
186 posts
273 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tentative Itinerary

Pfound, you have raised some good points. I have read some very good reviews of the Miner's Museum. Cape d'Or was my husband's request. His only one at this point so of course I had to include it. I now realize this itinerary needs some rework.

I really do appreciate everyone's comments and I know with y'all's help this is going to be an outstanding trip.

Thank you.

k

Sydney
Level Contributor
881 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Tentative Itinerary

k,

I just wanted to correct something I said in the earlier post. I said 2 days around the Cabot Trail and 3 in the Sydney/Louisbourg area. It was actually a slip of the pen and should have been 2 and 2.

Your schedule as you have it laid out is achievable, even with cape d'Or in it, but you will likely feel pushed all the way. If you do do Cape d'Or, the other interesting site in that area is the fossil cliffs at Joggins which have recently been declared a UNESCO World Heritage Site.

Cheers