We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Halifax and nova scotia 7 day trip help needed

Merritt Island...
Level Contributor
43 posts
Save Topic
Halifax and nova scotia 7 day trip help needed

Wife and I (mid 40s) will be arriving in yhz on 15 or 16 may. I know the weather will be marginal by florida standards(low 60sF for a high) but as a ups driver w/o ac I like temperate. Flying on a dl buddy pass from florida. We want to base our trip in halifax and do a 2-3 day car rental trip into nova scotia. I dont think we have enough time to go up to cape brenton. We dont want a brutal rushed drive, but would like to stop and smell the roses. Maybe a loop around the south end of the provience. I dont plan on having the rental while in halifax, just picking it up downtown for the road trip and returning it back to the airport. Is there a surcharge for that? Any suggestions, road trip restaurants and accomidations and/or tips on any festivals, etc. would be apprieciated.

Nova Scotia
8 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Halifax and nova scotia 7 day trip help needed

Hey there! I'm Stephanie from Nova Scotia Tourism. To answer your question about a rental car, picking one up in downtown Halifax and then dropping it off at the airport is done by a lot of people. You are right that there is a drop off fee, and it tends to be around $10-$15 to drop off at the airport location for most companies. The following web page is a great resource for car rental and transportation information in Nova Scotia: http://tiny.cc/NovaScotiaTransportation. There are a lot of excellent restaurants and accommodations in the Annapolis Valley, as well as the South Shore. A good resource for searching accommodations is this area is www.novascotia.com. From this site you can search festivals & events and restaurants as well. I hope this information helps somewhat. Have a great trip!

Cheers,

Stephanie

New Minas, Canada
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
2,197 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Halifax and nova scotia 7 day trip help needed

Hi bud8jr,

The suggestion to check the website www.novascotia.com is a good one. You can order the free tourist guide "Doers & Dreamers" there & also order the Festival & Event guide.

Lots of great info on the website itself. On the left hand side of the home page is a distance calculator that will be helpful in planning your trip.

You're wise to take the time to "smell the roses" on your trip & with only 2-3 days, you will have lots to do in a loop around the southern part of the province. If you decided not to do the whole loop there are routes #8,10,12 that you can cross from the South Shore to the Fundy Shore. Also, depending on what time your flight leaves, you might want to stay in the Wolfville area your last night. It's only aprox a 1 hr drive to the airport from there.

What were the main things that you were interested in seeing & what type of accommodations were you looking for? This could help in directing you to specific areas.

Fundygirl

Merritt Island...
Level Contributor
43 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Halifax and nova scotia 7 day trip help needed

Thanks for all your replys. Unfortunely, we wont be able to make it as the flights on return are too full for standby. Will try again in the summer, away from a holiday weekend, hope this thread helps someone else out.

Cape Breton Island...
Destination Expert
for Cape Breton Island
Level Contributor
1,472 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Halifax and nova scotia 7 day trip help needed

Look , if you have at least 3 days on the ground, you can get Cape Breton into the trip . It's all in the timing, having the right plan, and driving the 100 series highways at our max of 110kph.

So, next time that you may get the opportunity, you contact me directly and give me your arrival and departure times, and we'll get a great trip. Have a friend who is UPS pilot out of Miami. He flies to Halifax and heads for Cape Breton and takes a different route each way within 3 days often.

5. Re: Halifax and nova scotia 7 day trip help needed

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 November 2009, 06:22